Sonesta is a growing hotel program with over 200 properties. The Sonesta Travel Pass rewards program is fairly new and fairly straight forward.
Everyone earns 10 points per dollar at Sonesta hotels, which allows you to redeem a free night starting at 15,000 points.
Earning Points with Sonesta Travel Pass
Every member earns 10 points per dollar spent at hotels in the Sonesta Travel Pass program.
However, unlike every other hotel elite program, Sonesta Travel Pass “Preferred” and “Elite” members do not earn extra points above the 10 points per dollar rate.
Bank of America Sonesta Hotels Mastercard
You can also earn Sonesta rewards points with the Bank of America Sonesta Hotels Mastercard.
The Mastercard earns 3x points at Sonesta hotels and gets you Sonesta “Elite” status, which can be great to get free breakfast or a room upgrade.
The Mastercard’s annual fee is waived for the first year, but it is $75 thereafter.
However, the card lacks some of the benefits you would expect from a hotel credit card such as a free hotel night each year or 5-10 points per dollar for spending at the hotel.
Redeeming Sonesta Travel Pass Rewards Points
You can redeem your Sonesta Travel Pass points for hotel stays.
There are no blackout dates, and you can redeem your Sonesta rewards points as long as there is a standard room available.
Sonesta divides hotels into nine different tiers:
- Tier 1 free nights cost 15,000 points
- Tier 2 free nights cost 17,500 points
- Tier 3 free nights cost 20,000 points
- Tier 4 free nights cost 22,500 points
- Tier 5 free nights cost 25,000 points
- Tier 6 free nights cost 27,500 points
- Tier 7 free nights cost 30,000 points
- Tier 8 free nights cost 40,000 points
- Tier 9 free nights cost 50,000 points
You can see what hotels are in each tier with this award chart.
There is only one hotel in both Tier 8 and Tier 9, which are both all-inclusive resorts in St. Maarten, which cost about $400+ per night.
Sonesta Travel Pass Elite Status
Sonesta Travel Pass has two elite status levels: Preferred and Elite. You can also enjoy many benefits by signing up and becoming a Member.
Anyone who joins the Sonesta Travel Pass program is a Member.
Members enjoy the following benefits:
- Ability to earn and redeem points.
- Complimentary upgraded WiFi.
- A $5 “Sip ‘n Snack credit” at Sonesta ES Suites.
- 5% hotel room discount.
- Customized room preferences.
Sonesta "Preferred" Status
You can earn Preferred status by staying at least 6 nights per year with Sonesta.
Preferred members get the benefits of Members plus:
- Complimentary room upgrades if available.
- Early check-in and late check-out, up to three hours before or after normal check in/out time.
- $10 “Sip ‘n Snack” credit at Sonesta ES Suites.
- 10% discount on dining and resort amenities.
- Exclusive priority reservations line.
- Guaranteed room/bed type.
Sonesta "Elite" Status
You can earn “Elite” status by staying at least 12 nights per year with Sonesta or with the Bank of America Sonesta Mastercard.
Elite members get the Preferred benefits plus:
- Priority self-parking.
- $15 “Sip ‘n snack credit at Sonesta ES Suites.
- 15% discount on dining and resort amenities.
Elite members staying at Royal Sonesta and Sonesta Hotels & Resorts also receive:
- Choice of welcome amenity
- Complimentary non-alcoholic beverage (up to $15)
- Complimentary club lounge access or continental breakfast daily if there is no lounge.
- Discounted suite upgrades (typically 50% off normal cost to upgrade).
Sonesta will match your elite status from another hotel program.
Just simply email (email@example.com) with your Travel Pass Member ID and a copy of a current membership card or statement showing your status in another hotel loyalty program.
There is room for improvement in Sonesta Travel Pass. I would like to see Sonesta add a points bonus for elite members, improve the Sonesta Mastercard, and add other ways to earn Sonesta points with other travel partners and shopping programs.