Plastiq allows you to pay your rent, mortgage, taxes, tuition, employees, or other bills with a credit card. I use Plastiq to send my rent every month. I like the ability to automate my payments on a recurring schedule and the ability help me hit my minimum spend for a sign-up bonus.
Fee- 2.5% for credit cards and 1% for debit cards is the standard rate, but Plastiq runs regular promotions. Subscribe to our free Daily Points emails for updates.
Sign Up Link (you will receive $500 fee-free dollars on your following payment after you pay $500 worth of bills using Plastiq; worth $12.50)
Cannot Use Plastiq to Pay
- Friend or family
- Your credit card bill
- 529 education savings plans
- Savings or investment accounts
Mastercard- You can pay your: Mortgage, rent, taxes, utilities, membership fees, education, student loans, contractors, and bills.
American Express- You can pay your: rent, taxes, utilities, membership fees, and education. (Cannot pay your mortgage or student loans)
Discover- You can pay your: Mortgage, rent, taxes, utilities, membership fees, education, student loans, contractors, and bills.
Visa- You can pay your: rent, taxes, utilities, membership fees, education, student loans, contractors, and bills. (Cannot pay your mortgage)
- Some Visa cards now have limits. Payments with Chase cards are limited to 20% of your total card limit. Citi Visa cards will be treated as a cash advance, so do not use a Citi Visa card with Plastiq (Citi Mastercards such as their American Airlines cards have no issues)
Visa and Cash Advance- If you are using a Visa card to pay someone who does not have a prior relationship with Plastiq, your transaction may be processed as a cash advance. Generally, you won’t have to worry if you are trying to pay the IRS, student loans, mortgage companies, or large apartment companies, since it is highly likely that someone else using Plastiq’s service has sent a payment to them. If this is not the case, Plastiq will display a cash advance warning during checkout. In this situation, use an American Express or Mastercard to send the first payment. After that, you can use your Visa card without the cash advance issue.
Payment Time- Plastiq mails a physical check, so it takes between 5-10 days to send your payment. Plastiq can do an ACH transfer, which usually takes 2-3 business days if the payee has set up direct deposit.
Businesses- Plastiq can be very lucrative for business owners since you may be able to write off the 2.5% fee as a reasonable business expense, while the points or cashback you receive in return is tax-free. (Consult your accountant, this is not business or legal advice). If the fee does count as a business expense, it is a great way to earn points while paying employees, vendors, or leasing company for your office space.
- RadPad– Charges 2.99% fee for credit cards and accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, and ApplePay. If you have the US Bank Altitude Reserve, RadPad can be a moneymaker with Apple Pay since you will get a 4.5% cash back towards travel for only a 2.99% fee.
- RentMoola– Charges a 2.99% fee for credit cards and accepts American Express, Mastercard, and Visa.
- Venmo- If your landlord has the peer-to-peer payment Venmo, you can send payments for a 3% fee for credit cards.