The PenFed Pathfinder Rewards Visa Signature card offers nice benefits such as extra points on travel, a $100 airline credit, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, and a Priority Pass airport lounge membership.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Points After Spending $3,000 in the First 90 Days
- 4X Points on Travel (Honors Advantage Members)
- 3X Points on Travel (Non-Members)
- 1.5x Points on All Other Purchases
- $100 Airline Fee Credit
- Global Entry / TSA PreCheck Credit
- Priority Pass Select
- $95 Annual Fee, Waived for Honors Advantage Members
How to Qualify for PenFed Honors AAdvantage
If you qualify for PenFed Honors AAdvantage, you can earn an extra point per dollar (4x points) on travel and waive the $95 annual fee for the card.
There are two ways to qualify for a PenFed Honors AAdvantage membership, by either:
- Being a member of the active duty, reserve, or retired military service, the National Guard, the Reserves, an honorably discharged veteran or retired from the United States Military
- Have an Access America checking account (except a PenCheck Limited Account)
Pathfinder Card Benefits
$100 Airline Fee Credit
Cardmembers receive a $100 annual airline fee credit each calendar year, which reimburses airline incidental fees (bags, seats, etc.)
No Foreign Transaction Fees
This card has no foreign transaction fees on purchases outside the U.S., which is helpful if you travel internationally to help you avoid paying a 3% fee on those international purchases.
Global Entry / TSA PreCheck Credit
This card offers a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit like many other travel cards.
TSA PreCheck is a membership program offering dedicated airport security lines and faster security screening (typically 5 minutes or less) at more than 200 airports across the United States and includes over 81 airlines.
With TSA PreCheck, you do not need to remove your shoes, laptop, small liquids, belts, or light jackets.
Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck and expedited immigration upon arrival from an international trip back to the United States.
TSA PreCheck and Global Entry require an interview and background check, but TSA PreCheck is typically faster and easier to obtain.
If you already have Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, you could use the card to purchase Global Entry for a family or friend or use it when your membership needs to be renewed. (Some TSA PreCheck enrollment centers require the credit card name to match the applicant’s name, whereas Global Entry doesn’t have the same requirement.)
Priority Pass Airport Lounge Membership
Cardmembers receive membership in Priority Pass Select, which gets you access to airport lounges and experiences.
But you have to pay $32 per visit per person, unlike the Chase Sapphire Reserve or American Express Platinum, which gets you unlimited free visits.
Alternatives to the Pathfinder Rewards Card
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Earn 60,000 Ultimate Rewards Bonus Points for Spending $4,000 in the First 3 Months
- 5x Points on Travel Booked Via Chase
- 3x Points on Dining and Eligible Delivery Services
- 3x Points on Select Streaming and Online Grocery (excluding Walmart, Target, and Wholesale Clubs)
- 2x Points on All Other Travel Purchases
- 10% Anniversary Points Boost
- Trip Delay and Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Primary Rental Car Insurance
- $95 Annual Fee
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is one of the best rewards cards for travelers who want solid earning rates for travel and dining expenses.
For only $95 per year, this card earns 5x Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel booked through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, 3x points on dining, online groceries, and streaming services, and 2x on all other travel purchases.
Cardholders will also get a 10% anniversary points bonus, a 12-month DoorDash DashPass subscription, and a $50- anniversary hotel statement credit.
Plus, it provides extensive travel protections, including trip delay, primary rental car, baggage, and purchase protection plans.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a premium travel rewards card that’s perfect for travelers who want outstanding travel perks like annual travel credits, worldwide airport lounge access, and travel and purchase protections.
The Venture X earns 2x miles on all purchases helping you maximize every dollar of your spending. Plus, you can earn 10x miles on hotels and rental cars, and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One.
The card has a $395 annual fee, completely offset by an easy-to-use travel credit of up to $300 back annually as statement credits for Bookings via Capital One Travel, and 10,000 points (worth at least $100) for each account anniversary.
Plus, you get airport lounge access via Priority Pass, Capital One, and Plaza Premium Lounges, Hertz President’s Circle elite status, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, rental car insurance, trip and luggage insurance, cell phone insurance, and purchase protection.
Citi Premier Card
- Earn 60,000 Points After Spending $4,000 in the First 3 Months
- 3x Points at Restaurants, Supermarkets, Gas Stations, Flights, and Hotels
- $100 Off a Single $500 Hotel Stay Per Year
- Extended Warranty and Purchase Protections
- $95 Annual Fee
The Citi Premier® Card is the best card for earning points because it offers 3x points at restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, airlines, and hotels.
The Premier card also comes with no foreign transaction fees, purchase protection, and an extended warranty for items purchased, adding an additional 24 months to the manufacturer’s warranty.