Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months of account inactivity, but you can extend your points by earning or redeeming one point.
Due to COVID-19, Marriott paused points expiration through July 31, 2021.
Ways to Extend Your Marriott Points
There are several ways you can reset the 24-month expiration clock:
- Earning points from a hotel stay at a Marriott hotel.
- Dining at local restaurants after linking your debit or credit card.
- Booking a Hertz car rental or a cruise.
- Buying something with a Marriott credit card such as Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless or Bonvoy Bold, or the American Express Bonvoy Brilliant or Bonvoy Business.
- Transfers from American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Converting Marriott points to airline miles.
- Booking a local experience.
- Hosting a Marriott event.
- Donating points to charitable donations.
Things That Won't Extend Your Points
There are a few things that won’t extend your Marriott points:
- Gifting or transferring points to another member.
- Earnings points through social media promotions.
Comparison of Hotel Programs
Below are the points expiration policies of the major hotel programs, so you can see how Marriott Bonvoy compares to the competition.