Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months of account inactivity, but you can extend your points by earning or redeeming one point.
Due to COVID-19, Marriott paused points expiration through July 31, 2021.
Ways to Extend Your Marriott Points
There are several ways you can reset the 24-month expiration clock:
- Earning points from a hotel stay at a Marriott hotel.
- Dining at local restaurants after linking your debit or credit card.
- Booking a Hertz car rental or a cruise.
- Buying something with a Marriott credit card such as Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless or Bonvoy Bold, or the American Express Bonvoy Brilliant or Bonvoy Business.
- Transfers from American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Converting Marriott points to airline miles.
- Booking a local experience.
- Hosting a Marriott event.
- Donating points to charitable donations.
Things That Won't Extend Your Points
There are a few things that won’t extend your Marriott points:
- Gifting or transferring points to another member.
- Earnings points through social media promotions.