IHG Rewards points expire 12 months after account inactivity, but you extend the expiration by earning or redeeming one point.
Due to COVID-19, IHG paused the expiration of all IHG points to June 30, 2021.
How to Extend Your IHG Points
There are several ways to extend the expiration of your IHG points:
- Earning points from a hotel stay at an IHG hotel.
- Redeeming points for a free night.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Buying IHG points.
- Earning points while dining.
- Booking a tour or activity.
- Booking a car rental.
- Buying Apple products.
- Transferring points to airline partners.
- Donating points to charities.
Comparison of Hotel Programs
Below are the points expiration policies of the major hotel programs, so you can see how IHG compares to the competition.