Good Things About United
No Fuel Surcharges on Partners– United is one of the only award programs that does not pass on fuel surcharges. This can save you hundreds of dollars when booking with points, especially on Lufthansa, Swiss, South African, Swiss, Turkish, Egyptair, and Air India.
Free Stopover and Excursionist Perk– United allows for a free stopover in the same region as the destination. You can also add a free one-way in that region using the excursionist perk.
Bad Things About United
Awards within 21 Days– United charges a $75 fee for award bookings within 21 days unless you have elite status with United. This is a ridiculous fee since there is no added cost for United to book an award within 21 days and lots of award space opens up within 21 days.
Not Having a United Credit Card– United really incentivizes people to open and keep their credit card. If you are a United cardmember, you can avoid basic economy while paying the basic economy price, get two free United Club passes, and you have access to better economy award space.
Other Airline Information
Main Hubs: Chicago, Denver, Houston, Newark, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. (Dulles).
Secondary Hubs: Los Angeles and Guam.
Alliance: Star Alliance
- First Checked Bag ($30) for flights to the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico. Free checked bag for international flights to South America, Europe, and Asia.
- You can check how much your bag will cost for your exact flight on United’s website. You can get your first checked bag for you and a companion with the Chase United Explorer card or first two bags for you and a companion with the Chase United Club card. However, you must purchase the airfare with the Chase United card. You can also get free bags by flying first or business class, having elite status, or being an active U.S. military member (3 bags plus companions bathe gs on same reservation)
- Second Checked Bag ($40) for the U.S., the Caribbean, and Central America; $50 for Canada; $55 for Mexico.
- Drinks ($8-10); Carry on bag ($25 if Basic Economy)
Points Expiration: 18 months. To extend earn or redeem one point.
Seat Maps by Plane: SeatGuru
Phone Number: 1-800-421-4655
United Club: List of Locations
Flight Reviews and Polaris Information- Check out our Reviews and Polaris page for all the information you need for United updated Business Class (Polaris)
Business Class Fare Codes
- Cash Bookings: J, C, D, Z, P
- Awards: JN (anytime or enhanced inventory for Premier members or Chase United cardholders), ZN (anytime), IN (enhanced saver space for United premiers), I
- Upgrades: PN (Global Services), PZ
Lie Flat Domestic Routes: United operates the 757-200, 777-200, and 787-10 aircraft with lie-flat seats on domestic routes. Those flights typically operate on: BOS-SFO; EWR-LAX; EWR-SFO; DEN to HNL/KOA/LIH/OGG; ORD to HNL/OGG; IAH-HNL; EWR-HNL; and IAD-HNL. You can find the list of routes on the United Cargo website and click “Widebody Schedules.” You can also see if a specific flight has lie-flat seats by clicking on that flight in Google Flights.
Same-Day Flight Changes: $75 fee, waived for Gold, Premier Platinum, and Premier 1K elite members. No changes for basic economy fares. (fine print)
Lost Items on Airplanes: Online Form
Flight Delay/Cancellation Statement: Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include names of all companions, confirmation number, flight number, dates, email, phone, and mailing address.
More Information: United’s Wikipedia Page