Lufthansa announced changes to their award chart effective May 9, 2019. Most routes are increasing in price, so use your Miles & More points before then. Here is the new chart for travel starting May 9, 2019.
Points Calculator: Lufthansa has a nice points calculator where you can enter where you are starting and where you are going to find the number of points required for an award.
Star Alliance Award Chart: See below.
One-Ways: You can book one-way awards on Lufthansa, but not on Star Alliance partners.
Lufthansa Partners Bookable Online
- Air Canada (high fuel surcharges)
- Air China
- Air New Zealand
- Austrian (high fuel surcharges)
- Brussels (high fuel surcharges)
- EgyptAir (high fuel surcharges)
- Eurowings (high fuel surcharges)
- Lot Polish (high fuel surcharges)
- Lufthansa (high fuel surcharges)
- Singapore (no Suites class)
- Shenzhen Airlines
- South African (high fuel surcharges)
- Swiss (high fuel surcharges)
- TAP Portugal
- Turkish (high fuel surcharges)
Lufthansa Partners Bookable by Phone
- Air Astana
- Air Dolomiti
- Air India (high fuel surcharges)
- Air Malta
- Cathay Pacific
Region Definitions: Chart is below.
Three Regions Award
- If you travel or transit through a third region on a partner airline, it costs 100,000 points for economy class, 140,000 points for premium economy, 185,000 points for business class, and 290,000 for first class. Australia/Oceania is very reasonable for 135,000 points round-trip in business class, but if you connect in Asia, you will be charged 185,000 points. The exception is when flying on Lufthansa. You can fly New York to Frankfurt to Tokyo as a single award.
Stopovers and Open-Jaw
- You are allowed two stopovers and two open-jaws on a round-trip award.
- You must call to book.
- Fine Print: 1 stopover per direction on roundtrip awards only; Up to 2 open-jaws on roundtrip awards; stopovers are not allowed in the region from which you depart; Stopovers are only allowed on award tickets that include two or more regions.
Flight Segments: For a one region award, you can have 2 flight segments in each direction. For a two-region award, you can have three flight segments in each direction. For a three-region award, you can have four flight segments per direction.
Fees: Rebooking or canceling is 50 Euros.
Booking: Up to 361 days from departure. Star Alliance can be booked a day before departure and flights on Lufthansa can be booked the same day.
Companion Ticket: Elite status members (Senator or HON Circle) can book a companion award at a 50% discount on flights operated by Lufthansa, Luxair, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airways, Eurowings, and Germanwings. (e.g. if it is 100,000 points for first class one-way, it only costs 150,000 for two people)
Economy Promotions: Lufthansa has “Mileage Bargains.” Most of the time it will be for economy class from the United States. Select your departure country from the drop-down menu. Most of the time it is Economy to Europe for 30,000 round trip instead of 60,000. However, for an $800 cash flight, $400 of that will be taxes and fees. Therefore, I would probably avoid.
Sweet Spots Using Miles & More
Lufthansa First Class– Lufthansa allows you to book their first class 361 days from departure. Partners can only book within 14 days. However, look out for large fuel surcharges.
Japan/South East Asia/Australia/Oceania– These flights are very reasonable if you can avoid transiting through a third region.
Within Oceania– Flying from Australia or New Zealand to the small islands in “Oceania” can be quite expensive. You can fly those flights for only 30,000 points round trip in economy class and 55,000 points in business class.
Star Alliance Award Chart
This chart is only valid until May 8, 2019. The new chart can be found here.
Lufthansa Award Region Definitions