Air Canada’s Aeroplan points program has generous routing rules so that you can book a great award with stopovers on many Star Alliance partners. Aeroplan is a good option if you want to fly Turkish, United, or SWISS to Europe for only 110,000 to 115,000 points from the U.S. and Canada in business class.
Number of Points Needed
Aeroplan Award Chart
- Award Chart with Region Definitions (U.S. Chart is below).
- One-ways cost 50% of the points.
- Aeroplan also has “Market Fare” awards only on Air Canada flights, but those are priced close to the cash price of the ticket, which is usually twice the fixed value of the standard award chart.
- Occasionally, Aeroplan will run promotions that make the market fare fairly reasonable, and you can save even more points if you have Aeroplan Elite status.
Upgrade Chart: Star Alliance Upgrade Chart
The full chart is at the bottom of this page. You can fly roundtrip to or from several provinces in Canada to other Canadian cities and select U.S. states for 15,000 points in economy, 20,000 points in premium economy, and 30,000 points in business class. (e.g. you could fly from St. Louis to Toronto for 15,000 points roundtrip in economy plus $152 due to fuel surcharges and taxes. Cash price for the flight is $493, which comes out to 2.3 cents per point.) Due to the fuel surcharges, I would only book this award if the cash price of similar flights is above $400. However, above that level, it’s a good deal for economy class.
Round the World Award
- Economy: 200,000; Premium Economy: 250,000; Business: 300,000; First Class: 400,000
- Up to five stopovers and one open jaw are allowed on a round-the-world ticket.
- Must do one and only one trans-Atlantic and one trans-Pacific crossing.
- Cannot have same connection or stopover in the same city.
- Maximum distance is 34,000 miles (for the same max mileage you could do ANA for 140,000 in Economy and 200,000 in business)
Airline Partners That You Can Fly On
Aeroplan’s Star Alliance Partner Airlines
Adria, Aegean, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa, Croatia Airlines, Egyptair, Ethiopian, EVA Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, SWISS, TAP Portugal, THAI, Turkish Airlines, and United.
Other Aeroplan Airline Partners
Cathay Pacific (select short-haul routes), Cathay Dragon, GOL, Air Creebec, Bearskin Airlines, Canadian North, and First Air. For these partners, you may have to book via phone at 800-361-5373.
- Fuel Surcharges: Air Canada (medium-high), ANA (medium), Asiana (medium), Austrian (high), Cathay Pacific (low), LOT Polish (low), Lufthansa (high), and Thai (low).
- No Fuel Surcharges: Aegean, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, COPA, Croatia Airlines, EVA, Egypt Air, Ethiopian, GOL, SAS, SWISS, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAP Portugal, Turkish Airlines, and United Airlines
Aeroplan Routing Rules
Stopovers for intercontinental flights
Either (1) two stopovers or (2) a stopover and one open jaw per round trip. You cannot do a stopover on a one-way award. (For two stopovers, you must call 800-361-5373 to book)
Stopovers between Continental U.S. and Canada
Only one stopover or one open-jaw is allowed within Canada or between Canada and the Continental United States.
Stopovers between U.S./Canada and Hawaii/Caribbean/Central America
For Air Canada flights, two stopovers, or one stopover and an open-jaw are allowed. If one flight is on a Star Alliance partner, one stopover and one open-jaw is allowed.
Open-Jaws must be in the same zone. There are three zones: Area 1 (North America, Caribbean, Central America, and South America), Zone 2 (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), and Area 3 (Oceania, Asia, and Indian subcontinent)
- Call center fee is $22.50 USD (30 CAD).
- Change to date, time, class of service, routing, etc. is $75 USD (100 CAD) per direction that is changed. However, if changes to your award reduce the number of points, there is no refund for the difference of the points.
- Rebooking for canceled tickets or redepositing points for a canceled ticket each costs $112 (150 CAD).
- You cannot cancel within 22 days of departure. If you need to cancel, pay the change fee and change to a date well in the future and then cancel.
Infant Tickets Cost
$50 CAD for Economy, $75 for Premium Economy, $100 for Business, and $125 for First Class.
Aeroplan Award Search Engine Tip
Aeroplan’s search engine can be unreliable and sometimes won’t show some award space. If you can’t find the award space you are looking for, try using United.com or Expert Flyer.
Mixed Cabins Awards
Aeroplan does not give a discount for mixed cabins (e.g., booking a business class award, but one segment is in economy). However, if you are booked into economy and an award seat opens up in business class, you can call Aeroplan to be upgraded at no cost.
Aeroplan’s Mini-Round the World Routing
Aeroplan’s Mini Round the World award is a great award if you want to stop in multiple cities or want to visit multiple continents. The number of points required is the largest number of points for the regions you visit (e.g. if you visit Europe (110k for business) and Asia (150k), it would cost 150k points.
- Stopovers– Either two stopovers, or a stopover and an open jaw. (open jaw is when you fly into one city and out of a different one. Must be in same “Zone,” which is defined above)
- 2 Stopover example: Miami-Zurich (stopover)-Singapore (stopover)-Zurich-Miami.
- 1 Stopover and One Open Jaw- Toronto to Athens (stop for a few days, take a train/drive/cheap flight to Venice), Venice to Lisbon (stopover), and Lisbon to Toronto.
- MPM– You just need to make sure you stay under the MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage). MPM is a number set by the IATA airline governing body, which states the maximum distance between two airports. You can be creative with your routings as long as you stay under this number. The MPM for Miami to Singapore is 12,664 miles for a one-way trip and the one-way from MIA-ZRH-SIN is 11,290 miles. If you need the MPM for a route, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Aeroplan may use a different formula, but when you call to book at 800-361-5373, you can verify that routing works.
- Layovers– You can do a maximum of 10 layovers on your Mini RTW trip. A layover is a stay less than 24 hours in a city.