Purchase protection can reimburse you for theft or accidental damage to eligible items that occurred within 90 to 120 days of purchase depending on the card. Different cards also cover different amounts. For example, the American Express Platinum would cover up to $10,000 per purchases, whereas the lower level cards only cover up to $1,0000.
You need to charge the item to your card to have protection. Additionally, things such as tickets, pets, rare items, cars, things purchases for resale, etc., are ineligible for coverage. Lastly, lost or damage due to normal wear and tear, illegal activity, natural diaster, etc., are not covered.
American Express: You can see your coverage based on the card you have.
|Issuer||Card||Coverage Length||Coverage Limits|
|Chase||Ink Preferred/Sapphire Reserve||120 Days||$10,000 per claim/$50,000 per year|
|Chase||Sapphire Preferred||120 Days||$500 per claim/$50,000 per account|
|American Express||Platinum/Delta Reserve/Gold Card/Premier Rewards Gold||120 Days||$10,000 per claim/$50,000 per calendar year and covers lost items|
|American Express||Most other Cards||120 Days||$1.000 per claim/$50,000 per calendar year|
|Citi||Prestige||120 Days (90 days for NY Residents)||$500 per claim/$50,000 per year|
What is Purchase Protection?
- Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or involuntary and accidental parting with property.
- If you buy an eligible item in the United States using your Account or rewards points earned on your Account and experience theft, damage, or involuntary and accidental parting with property within one hundred and twenty (120) days from the date of your purchase, Purchase Protection will replace, repair, or reimburse you up to a maximum of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for each claim and up to fifty thousand ($50,000.00) dollars for each year. The decision to replace, repair, or reimburse you will be made at the Benefit Administrator’s discretion.
- To be eligible for coverage, you must charge some portion of the price of the purchased item to your Account. You will only be reimbursed up to the dollar amount to replace or repair the item or the program limit, whichever is less.
- Purchase Protection provides coverage in excess of any valid and collectible insurance or indemnity. This includes but is not limited to homeowner, rental, automobile, and employer insurance policies.
Who is eligible for coverage?
You, a person to whom a United States (U.S.) credit card has been issued (“Cardholder”) and to whomever receives gifts purchased with your Chase credit card account (“Account”).
What is covered?
- Certain personal items are covered when you purchase them using your Account or rewards points earned on your Account. The conditions for coverage are theft, damage, or involuntary and accidental parting with property. Involuntary and accidental parting with property means the unintended separation from an item of personal property in which the item’s location is known but recovery is impractical to complete.
- Items purchased outside of the U.S. are covered as long as they are purchased with your Account and the purchase meets the terms and conditions of Purchase Protection.
- Gifts are covered as long as they are purchased with your Account and the purchase meets the terms and conditions of Purchase Protection
What is not covered?
- Animals and living plants
- Antiques and collectible items
- Boats, aircraft, automobiles, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle
- Computer software
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Items that mysteriously disappear. “Mysterious disappearance” means the vanishing of an item in an unexplained manner when there is an absence of evidence of a wrongful act by a person or persons.
- Items under the care and control of a common carrier (including U.S. Postal Service, airplanes, or delivery service)
- Items including but not limited to, jewelry and watches from your baggage unless it is hand-carried and under your personal supervision, or under the supervision of your traveling companion who is previously known to you.
- Losses resulting from abuse, fraud, hostilities of any kind (including, but not limited to, war, invasion, rebellion, insurrection, or terrorist activities), confiscation by the authorities, risks of contraband, illegal activities, normal wear and tear, flood, earthquake, radioactive contamination, or damage from inherent product defects.
- Losses resulting from misdelivery or voluntary parting with property
- Medical equipment
- Perishables, consumables, including but not limited to perfumes, cosmetics, and limited-life items such as rechargeable batteries
- Traveler’s checks, cash, tickets, credit or debit cards, and any other negotiable instruments
- Used or pre-owned items
How do I file a claim?
- Call the Benefit Administrator within ninety (90) days after the loss, damage, or theft. The customer service representative will ask you for some preliminary claim information and send you the appropriate claim form. Please note: If you do not contact the Benefit Administrator within ninety (90) days of the loss, your claim may be denied.
- Complete the claim form you receive from the Benefit Administrator. Be sure to provide all of the information requested and return the information within one hundred and twenty (120) days from the date of loss, theft, or damage. Gift recipients of eligible items are also covered by the claims process. However, a gift recipient must provide all the documents necessary to fully substantiate the claim.
What documents do I need to submit with my claim?
- Your completed and signed claim form
- A copy of your card receipt
- A copy of the itemized store receipt
- If more than one method of payment was used, documentation linking the purchase back to the Account must be included
- A copy of the police report (made within forty-eight  hours of the occurrence in the case of theft), fire report, insurance claim, loss report or other report sufficient to determine your eligibility for Purchase Protection
- A copy of your insurance declaration page, when applicable
- Documentation (if available) of any other settlement of the loss
- Any other documentation deemed necessary, in the Benefit Administrator’s sole discretion, to substantiate the claim
How will I be reimbursed?
At its discretion and depending on the nature and circumstances of the incident, the Benefit Administrator may choose to address your claim in one of two ways:
- A damaged item may be repaired, rebuilt, or replaced wholly or in part. A stolen item may be replaced. You will be notified of the decision to repair, rebuild, or replace your item within fifteen (15) days following receipt of the required proof-of-theft/damage documentation.
- You may be reimbursed for the covered item. The reimbursement will be for no more than the original purchase price of the covered item as shown on your Account receipt, less shipping and handling charges, up to a maximum of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars per claim and fifty thousand ($50,000.00) dollars per year.
You will only be reimbursed up to the amount charged to your Account or the program limit whichever is less. Additionally, any purchases made using rewards points associated with the Account are eligible for this benefit and you will only be reimbursed up to the dollar amount to replace or repair the item or the program limit, whichever is less.
Under normal circumstances, reimbursement will take place within five (5) business days of receipt and approval of all required documents.
In either case, the Benefit Administrator’s payment, replacement, or repair made in good faith will fulfill the obligation under the benefit.
Coverage may vary by state or card.
What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $1,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for:
- The lesser of:
- the cost to repair the item;
- the cost to replace the item; or
- reimbursement for the
- A Covered Incident related to Natural Disaster will have a maximum per occurrence limit of $500 for any one Covered
For Accounts eligible and enrolled in the Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points program(s), an item is eligible for coverage under this Plan if it was purchased through the redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount of the Membership Reward Points and/or Pay with Points You redeemed to purchase the item. Benefits will not be paid when redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points have been transferred to a non-eligible card account or non-Card Members.
Our benefit payment will not include payment of expenses or fees related to shipping and handling, installation, assembly, professional advice, maintenance or other service charges or any product rebates, discounts or money received from lowest price comparison programs that reduced the original cost of the item. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount charged to Your Account (including applicable sales tax). Repair must be performed by an authorized repair facility or other professional repair facility, as outlined in the manufacturer’s warranty.
Length of Coverage
Purchase Protection provides benefits, for ninety (90) days from the date of purchase, if a Covered Incident occurs with respect to the item You purchased and charged to Your Account.
Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this Plan.
Benefits are not payable if the Covered Incident for which coverage is sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:
- war or acts of war (whether declared or undeclared), participation in a felony, riot, civil disturbance, protest or insurrections, service in the armed forces or units auxiliary to it;
- any activity directly related to and occurring while in the service of any armed military force of any nation state recognized by the United Nations;
- violation of a criminal law, offense or infraction;
- fraud or abuse or illegal activity of any kind by the Card Member;
- confiscation by any governmental authority, public authority, or customs official;
- damage or theft while under the care and control of any third party in whose possession the item purchased by a Card Member has been temporarily placed;
- item not being reasonably safeguarded;
- theft from baggage not carried by hand and under Your personal supervision or under the supervision of a traveling companion known by You;
- damage through alteration (including but not limited to cutting, sawing and shaping);
- normal wear and tear of any kind, inherent product defect or manufacturer’s defects or damage to an item purchased for play and while the item was being used for its intended purposes (including but not limited to sports equipment, items used for or during recreation, and motorized remote control items);
- damage or theft while under the care and control of a common carrier (including but not limited to transportation services, postal services, delivery services for hire);
- leaving the purchased item at an unoccupied (i.e., absence of people from premises that is not a liveable or useable space) construction site;
- fraudulent, dishonest, or criminal acts or omissions, committed by your partners, members, officers, managers, employees (including leased or temporary employees), directors, trustees, or authorized representatives; or
- purchases that are lost and/or irretrievable (i.e. item is neither stolen nor damaged), misplaced, or Mysteriously Disappeared.
Purchases Not Covered
The following purchases are not covered:
- consumable or perishable items with extended or limited life spans (including, but not limited to: food, perfume, light bulbs, batteries);
- stolen or damaged items consisting of articles in a pair or Coverage will be limited to no more than the value of any particular part or parts, unless the articles are unusable individually and cannot be replaced individually, regardless of any special value they may have had as part of a set or collection;
- travelers checks, tickets of any kind, negotiable instruments (including but not limited to gift certificates, gift cards and gift checks), cash or its equivalent, rare stamps or coins;
- animals or living plants;
- one-of-a-kind, antique or previously owned and used Items refurbished by the manufacturer are not considered previously owned or used;
- motorized vehicles, scooters, golf carts, watercraft, aircraft, motorcycles or their motors, equipment, parts or accessories, or trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle;
- items rented, leased or borrowed for which You will be held responsible;
- permanent household fixtures unless they can be removed without causing damage to the structure;
- items purchased for use as inventory, resale, professional, or commercial use (including but not limited to professional education, training or skills, or to be used in professional competition);
- business fixtures, including, but not limited to, air conditioners, refrigerators, heaters and/or any item that cannot be removed without causing damage to the structure; and
- hospital, medical and dental equipment and devices (including but not limited to blood pressure device/equipment, blood glucose monitoring devices, and dental retainers).
I. CLAIMS PROCESS
If You experience a Covered Incident for which You believe a benefit is payable under this Plan, You must provide both Notice of Claim and Proof of Loss.
To insure prompt processing of Your claim, report any theft or damage immediately following the date of the Covered Incident, including for gifts purchased on Your Account. Retain Your receipts and Your damaged item (if applicable) until the claim process is complete.
We will decide whether to do one of the following: 1) have the product repaired; 2) have the product replaced; or 3) reimburse You up to the amount of the item purchased on Your Account.
Notice of Claim
Notice of Claim should be provided to Us within thirty (30) days of the Covered Incident. You may contact the Company by calling toll-free stateside 1-800-322-1277 or, if from overseas, by calling collect 1-303-273- 6498. You may also write to Us at Purchase Protection Claims Unit, PO Box 981553, El Paso TX 79998 – 9920.
Failure to provide Notice of Claim within thirty (30) days will not invalidate a claim or reduce any benefit payment that may be found to be eligible, if it can be shown that Notice of Claim was provided as soon as reasonably possible. At the time You provide Us with Notice of Claim, We will assist with completion of the Proof of Loss by providing instructions and/or documents, which You may have to complete and return to Us. You are required to cooperate with Us and provide documentation as requested by Us which is required and necessary to process Your claim and determine if benefits are payable. No claim will be denied based upon Your failure to provide notice within such specified time, unless this failure operates to prejudice Our rights.
Proof of Loss
If required, a claim form will be sent to You after We receive notice of loss. Written proof of loss, which includes the signed claim form and all other requested documentation, must be received within sixty (60) days after We have provided You with instructions and/or a claim form in response to Your Notice of Claim, or Your claim may be denied. The proof of loss must be sent to: Purchase Protection Claims Unit, PO Box 981553, El Paso TX 79998-9920. If the required proof of loss and other documentation is not received within sixty (60) days of the Our request (except for documentation which has not been furnished for reasons beyond Your control), coverage may be denied. It is the Your responsibility to provide all required documentation.
Proof of Loss may require documentation consisting of, but not necessarily limited to, the following:
- a Purchase Protection claim form;
- the original itemized store receipt with applicable sales tax included;
- the insurance declaration forms for Your other sources of primary insurance policies or indemnity (e.g., homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policies);
- a photograph of and/or repair estimate for the damaged item by an authorized repair facility or other professional repair facility as outlined in the manufacturer’s warranty; and
- for theft and vandalism claims, a report regarding the stolen or vandalized item that has been filed with the appropriate You must file such report before You call to file a claim under Purchase Protection.
You may be required to send in the damaged item to Us at Our expense for further evaluation of Your claim. If requested, You must send in the damaged item within sixty (60) days from the date of Our request to remain eligible for coverage.
If an item is purchased with your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points and is damaged or stolen within 120 days (90 days for New York residents) of purchase or delivery of the item, whichever is fi st,
we may repair it or reimburse you up to the amount paid with your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points. You’re covered for up to $10,000 per item, up to $50,000 per year, per Citi card account.
To be eligible for coverage, you must pay for the item at least in part with your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points. We will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount paid for with your Citi card (including ThankYou® Points) or the maximum coverage per item
How Long are you Covered?
|Within 120 days (90 days for New York residents) of purchase or delivery of the item, whichever is first|
|Maximum Coverage per Item||Coverage is limited to the lesser of the following:|
■ The amount charged to the Citi card
(including ThankYou® Points).
|Maximum Coverage per calendar year per account||$50,000|
This coverage is primary except for New York residents where coverage is secondary.
> WHAT’S COVERED
Purchases made by you using your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points.
> WHAT’S NOT COVERED
Coverage does not apply to the following items:
- Boats, cars, aircraft, or any other motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment. Tires are cover
- Products that can spoil or be consumed, such as food, fuel, or medications.
- Currency, cash (including rare or precious coins), gift cards, or Traveler’s checks.
- Tickets of any kind (g., for airlines, sporting events, concerts or lottery).
- Items purchased for resale, professional or commercial use
- Advice or services for a purchased item, such as product installation, labor, maintenance or repair.
Coverage does not apply to any item if it’s damaged or stolen under these conditions:
- The item was not reasonably cared for to prevent the damage or theft.
- The item is used in a way that goes against the manufacturer’s instructions or warnings, or is altered from its designed purpose.
- The item is damaged because of a product defect or experiences normal wear and tear where no failure has occurred
- The item is damaged because of an act of God, such as a flood, hurricane, lightning, wind or earthquake.
How to File a Claim.
Please follow the steps below and pay close attention to the deadlines to make sure you remain eligible for coverage.
- To file a claim, call 1-866-918-4670 as soon as possible after the incident. We will ask you a few questions, send you a claim form and advise you what documents we may need to support your claim. Or you can visit www.cardbenefits.citi.com to download a claim form for submission.
- Return the claim form and all requested documents within 180 days of the date of incident. We will notify you of our decision once we’ve processed your claim.