Luggage Protection can reimburse you for any damage to your luggage and the contents inside. Some portion of the airfare must be purchased with the card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve
- Checked Bag Coverage: Up to $3,000 for each covered person per covered trip
- High-Risk Items: Up to $500 per covered person per covered trip for jewelry, watches, cameras, video recorders and other electronic equipment
- Eligibility: Charge a portion of your fare to your card or use Ultimate Rewards Points
American Express Platinum:
- Checked Bag Coverage: Up to $2,000 for each covered person per covered trip
- High-Risk Items: Up to $250 per covered person for jewelry, sporting equipment, photographic or electronic equipment and computers and audio/visual equipment
- Eligibility: Charge the entire fare to your Platinum Card
Card Issuer-Specific Fine Print
What is the Lost Luggage benefit?
- The benefit reimburses you for costs you incur to repair or replace Checked Baggage and/or Carry-On Baggage and personal property contained within due to physical loss or damage, if the loss (including theft) or damage occurs during a Common Carrier Covered
- The Company’s liability will be the actual cash value (replacement cost less depreciation) of the articles at the time of loss up to the maximum benefit The Lost Luggage benefit is in excess of any travel insurance purchased by the Insured Person for the same Covered Trip or indemnity or reimbursements by the airline, cruise line, railroad, station authority, occupancy provider available to you.
- The plan is automatically provided to you as a Cardholder and your Immediate Family Members at no cost to Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates pays the full cost of the insurance.
- To be eligible for this benefit, you must report the loss or damage to the Common Carrier immediately as soon as you exit the Carrier. You will need to provide proof that you submitted a report to the Common Carrier, so be sure to keep a copy of the report for your records.
What is a Common Carrier Covered Trip?
- It’s travel on a Common Carrier (see definitions section) when some portion of the fare for transportation has been charged to your Account issued by Chase Bank USA, A. and/or its affiliates.
- It’s also travel on a Common Carrier when free flights have been awarded from frequent flier or Rewards programs, provided that all of the miles or Rewards points were accumulated from a Rewards program sponsored by Chase Bank USA, A. and/or its affiliates.
Who is covered?
You, the Primary Insured Person and your Immediate Family Members are covered. Immediate Family Members means your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
If I charge multiple Common Carrier fares on my Account for myself and Immediate Family Members, does this benefit apply separately to each person?
Yes, each Insured Person is eligible to receive the benefit.
Are my Immediate Family Members covered if I am not traveling with them?
Yes. The Company will pay the corresponding benefit regardless of whether you are traveling with them, as long as you have charged some portion of a Common Carrier fare for the Immediate Family Members (minus any redeemable frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of redeemable Rewards) to your Account (subject to the terms and conditions of this description of coverage).
What is covered?
The benefit covers physical loss or damage of Checked Baggage and/or Carry-On Baggage and personal property in the baggage belonging to you or an Immediate Family Member. The benefit amounts are: up to three thousand ($3,000.00) dollars for each Insured Person (you and your Immediate Family Members) for each Common Carrier Covered Trip; up to five hundred ($500.00) dollars for each Insured Person for each Common Carrier Covered Trip for jewelry, watches, cameras, video recorders, and other electronic equipment.
The benefit amounts for jewelry, watches, cameras, video recorders, and other electronic equipment are part of and not in addition to the maximum benefit amount for Lost Luggage. Payment of these benefit amounts reduces and does not increase the maximum benefit amount for Lost Luggage.
What is not covered?
- loss of documents or valuable papers, money, securities, tickets, checks, traveler’s checks or
- any loss of property caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly, you or an Immediate Family Member committing or attempting to commit any illegal act or international act, including but not limited to any
- any loss of property occurring when 1) the United States of America has imposed any trade or economic sanctions prohibiting insurance of any loss of property; 2) there is any other legal prohibition against providing insurance for any loss of property; or 3) in the event of a declared or undeclared War.
When does my coverage become effective?
Your insurance becomes effective on the latest of the following:
- the date on which you first meet the eligibility criteria as an Insured Person
- the date for which the premium for your insurance is paid by Chase Bank USA, A. and/or its affiliates
Your Immediate Family Members, as Insured Persons, are also covered while the insurance is in effect for the benefits described in this description of coverage.
When does my coverage terminate?
Your insurance automatically terminates on the earliest of the following:
- the termination date of the policy
- the expiration of the period for which required premium has been paid for you
- the date on which you no longer meet the eligibility criteria as an Insured Person
- the date on which the Company pays out 100% of the benefit amount
Do I need to notify anyone that I’ve booked a Common Carrier fare to obtain this insurance?
No, it is not necessary for you to notify Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates, the administrator, or the Company when you purchase your tickets.
Specific questions and request for claims forms may be submitted to the Plan Administrator at the following address: Plan Administrator Card Benefit Services, P.O. Box 72034 Richmond, VA 23255
What types of documentation may be requested when a claim is submitted?
Some of the documentation the Company may request includes, but is not limited to:
- a completed claim form
- a copy of the travel itinerary
- written confirmation that the claim was filed with the Common Carrier
- a copy of the credit card statement that shows the charge for the Common Carrier fare
- a copy of the settlement or denial from the Common Carrier
- copies of receipts for the purchase of replacement items over twenty-five ($25.00) dollars
- copies of original receipts
How long do I have to file a claim after the damage or loss occurs?
You must provide a written claim notice within twenty (20) days after the occurrence or commencement of any loss or damage covered by this policy or as soon as reasonably possible. The notice must include enough information to identify you, and Chase Bank USA, N.A. and/or its affiliates. Please note that failure to provide a claim notice within twenty (20) days will not invalidate or reduce any otherwise valid claim if notice is given as soon as is reasonably possible.
What happens after I send a claim notice to you?
- Within fifteen (15) days of the Company’s receipt of your claim notice, the Company will send you or your designee forms to complete that provides the Company with Proof of Claim.
- If you or your designee does not receive the forms, please send the Company a written description of the This written description should include information detailing the occurrence, type, and extent of the loss for which the claim is made.
How long do I have to provide you with Proof of Loss?
You need to send the Company complete Proof of Loss within ninety (90) days from the date of loss or as soon as reasonably possible. Please note that failure to provide Proof of Loss within these time frames will not invalidate or reduce any otherwise valid claim if notice is given as soon as is reasonably possible, and in no event later than one (1) year after the ninety (90) day deadline to submit Proof of Loss, except in cases where the claimant lacks legal capacity
Coverage may vary by state or card.
The Baggage Insurance Plan provides benefits for a Covered Person’s damaged, stolen or lost Baggage, whether checked or carry-on, when Common Carrier tickets are purchased and charged to Your Account, subject to exclusions and limitations described in this Description of Coverage.
Coverage is activated for a Covered Person under the Plan while taking a Covered Trip only when the Entire Fare has been charged to an eligible Account. Eligibility for coverage will remain in effect as long as the definition of a Covered Person is met.
I. DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS
What is Covered
We will pay a benefit to a Covered Person for a Loss up to the applicable limits (including applicable sales tax) and under the circumstances described below.
Coverage for all benefits under this Description of Benefits section is secondary to any other coverage, which is primary and/or provided by a Common Carrier. Where other coverage is available to the Covered Person, Our benefit will be secondary to the amount payable under other coverage. The combined payment from this Plan’s coverage and other coverage shall not exceed Our Replacement Cost.
A Covered Person is eligible for this benefit if the Loss occurs while on a Covered Trip when:
- the Covered Person is riding solely as a passenger on a Common Carrier;
- the Covered Person is on a Common Carrier’s terminal premises designated for passenger use immediately before Boarding or immediately after Exiting from a Common Carrier; or
- the Covered Person is Boarding or Exiting from a Common
We will pay a benefit for the Replacement Cost of Baggage while in direct transit to a Common Carrier’s terminal for the purpose of Boarding a Common Carrier or when leaving from a Common Carrier’s terminal directly after Exiting from a Common Carrier, up to $1,250 for each Covered Person on a Covered Trip.
We will pay a benefit for the Replacement Cost of carry-on Baggage (other than in direct transit to/from a Common Carrier’s terminal) up to $1,250 for each Covered Person on a Covered Trip.
We will pay a benefit for the Replacement Cost of checked Baggage (other than in direct transit to/from a Common Carrier’s terminal) up to $500 for each Covered Person on a Covered Trip.
High-risk Items Benefit
We will pay a maximum benefit of $250, for each Covered Person on a Covered Trip for Loss of high-risk items.
High-risk items include, but are not limited to:
- sporting equipment;
- photographic or electronic equipment; computers and audio/visual equipment; wearable technology;
- items consisting in whole or in part of gold, silver or platinum; and
- furs or articles made mostly with fur or trimmed or lined with
Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this Plan.
This Plan does not cover Loss for which coverage sought was directly or indirectly, wholly or partially, contributed to or caused by:
- war or acts of war (whether declared or undeclared), participation in a felony, riot, civil disturbance, protest or insurrections, service in the armed forces or units auxiliary to it;
- any act by customs or other governmental authority whether involving Your consent or by confiscation or requisition (except the Transportation Security Administration);
- defective workmanship, normal wear and tear and gradual deterioration; or
- fraud or abuse or illegal activity of any kind by or on behalf of the Covered
Items Not Covered
This Plan does not cover:
- cash or its equivalent, notes, accounts, bills, currency, deeds, food stamps or evidences of debt or intangible property;
- credit cards and other travel documents (including, but not limited to, passports and visas);
- tickets and documents;
- living plants and animals;
- food, consumable and perishable items;
- eyeglasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses; hearing aids, artificial teeth and limbs; prescription or non- prescription drugs; or
- property shipped as freight or shipped prior to the Covered Trip departure
II. CLAIMS PROCESS
If the Covered Person experiences a Loss for which You or the claimant believe a benefit is payable under this Plan, You or the claimant must provide both Notice of Claim and Proof of Loss.
To insure prompt processing of the claim, report any damaged, stolen, or lost Baggage immediately following the date of the Loss. Retain any receipts and damaged property (if applicable) until the claim process is complete.
Notice of Claim
Notice of Claim should be provided to Us within thirty (30) days of the Loss. You or the claimant may contact the Company by calling toll-free stateside 1-800-645-9700 or, if from overseas, by calling collect 1-303-273- 6498. You or the claimant may also write to Us at AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX 79998-9920.
Failure to provide Notice of Claim within thirty (30) days will not invalidate a claim or reduce any benefit payment that may be found to be eligible, if it can be shown that Notice of Claim was provided as soon as reasonably possible. At the time You or the claimant provides Us with Notice of Claim, We will assist with completion of the Proof of Loss by providing instructions and/or documents, which You or the claimant may have to complete and return to Us. You or the claimant are required to cooperate with Us and provide documentation as requested by Us which is required and necessary to process Your claim and determine if benefits are payable. No claim will be denied based upon Your or the claimant’s failure to provide notice within such specified time, unless this failure operates to prejudice Our rights.
Claims for Loss of checked Baggage can be processed and paid only after the Common Carrier responsible for the Loss has settled the claim against it. If the Common Carrier completely denies Your claim, there will be no reimbursement for the Loss under this Plan unless the sole reason for denial is the specific exclusion of a particular item under the Common Carrier’s contract of carriage.
Proof of Loss
If required, a claim form will be sent to You or the claimant after We receive notice of Loss. Written proof of loss, which includes the signed claim form and all other requested documentation, must be received within sixty (60) days after We have provided You or the claimant with instructions and/or a claim form in response to Your or the claimant’s Notice of Claim, or the claim may be denied. The proof of loss must be sent to: AMEX Assurance Company, PO Box 981553, El Paso, TX 79998-9920. If the required proof of loss and other documentation is not received within sixty (60) days of Our request (except for documentation which has not been furnished for reasons beyond Your or the claimant’s control), coverage may be denied. It is Your or the claimant’s responsibility to provide all required documentation.
Required documentation may consist of, but is not limited to:
- a Baggage Insurance Plan claim form, which includes an inventory list of items that are being claimed;
- itemized store receipts for claimed inventory, if available;
- itinerary with Account number charged, breakout of fare (taxes, miles/points redeemed) and travel dates;
- for checked Baggage, the written report of the Loss filed with the Common Carrier; and
- settlement or denial of the checked Baggage Loss filed with the Common No payment will be made on claims not substantiated in the manner required by Us.
You or the claimant may be required to send in the damaged property at Our expense for further evaluation of the claim. If requested, You or the claimant must send in the damaged property within sixty (60) days from the date of Our request to remain eligible for coverage.
Payment of Claim
A claim for benefits provided by this Plan will be paid within thirty (30) days after Our receipt of Your or the claimant’s complete Proof of Loss documentation and Our determination that a claim is payable according to the terms of the Plan.
Any payment made by Us in good faith pursuant to this or any other provision of this Plan will fully discharge Us to the extent of such payment.
Claims will be paid on the basis of the Replacement Cost of the covered property. If You or the claimant are eligible to recover the Loss from other insurance sources, We will make a payment to You or the claimant only to the extent the Loss exceeds the amount paid from other insurance. The Company may, at its option, elect to repair or replace the covered property. If the Company elects to replace the property it will be of like kind and quality.