EVA is a 5-star airline based in Taiwan with their main hub in Taipei. I flew EVA from Manila to Taipei and Taipei to Chicago. The food and the service on EVA are outstanding, even on the 2-hour Manila to Taipei, which is in my top 5 most enjoyable flights.
Aircraft Seat Configurations: Seat Guru
- Economy Class: (Review #1; Review #2; Review #3); Premium Economy (Review #1; Review #2)
- Business Class: 777 (Review #1; Review #2; Review #3; Review #4; Review #5; Review #6; Review #7)
New Business Class- In 2018, EVA unveiled a new business class (video) for the 787 Dreamliner. EVA’s existing 777 business class features great reverse herringbone seats that offer a good amount of privacy. The new 787 business class will offer a less privacy, so it remains to be see if it will be an upgrade.
Book the Cook: EVA is fairly unique in that you can pre-order a gourmet meal ahead of time in business class. Their normal meals on board are very good, but if you craving lobster, scallops, duck, or filet mignon, you can pre-order that meal so that is loaded on board the aircraft.
Hello Kitty: If you a fan of Hello Kitty, you can fly the special Hello Kitty plane on some routes, which includes Hello Kitty themed pillows, silverware, flight attendant uniforms, and even toilet paper.
Elite Status: 3 Levels (Silver, Gold, and Diamond)
More Information: EVA’s Wikipedia Page
Transfer Partners: Citi ThankYou Points and Capital One (2 to 1.5 airline points)
Other Ways: Hotel, Rental Car, and Other Partners.
Airlines You Can Fly: Adria, Aegean, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa, Croatia Airlines, Egyptair, Ethiopian, EVA Air, LOT Polish, Lufthansa, SAS, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Swiss, TAP Portugal, THAI, Turkish Airlines, and United.
Routing Rules for EVA Flights
- Two stopovers are allowed for a round trip award ticket, one in outbound and one in inbound. The turnaround point and stopovers cannot be the same as the origin or destination’s nation. Transit in Taiwan is not permitted for travel starting from Taiwan area.
- Permitted: (A) Tokyo / Taipei / HongKong / Taipei / Tokyo (B) HongKong /Taipei / Singapore / Taipei / HongKong
- Not Permitted : (A) Tokyo / Taipei / Osaka / Taipei / Tokyo (B) Taipei / Hong Kong / Taipei / Singapore / Taipei
- No stopovers for one-way tickets.
- Open Jaws are allowed if they are in the same area. (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China, Northeast Asia, Southeast Asia are considered to be in different areas)
Routing Rules for Star Alliance Flights
- Two stopovers are allowed for a round trip award ticket, including one in outbound and one in inbound. The turnaround point and stopovers cannot be the same as the origin or destination’s nation. Maximum of six sectors are allowed for each round trip award ticket.
- Stopover is not allowed for a one-way ticket. Maximum of three sectors are allowed for each one-way award ticket.
- One open jaw segment is allowed for the whole itinerary; however, the open jaw must be in the outward point of departure or turnaround point and they must be in the same area. Ex: TPE-LAX (open jaw) SFO-TPE (O)
- For an award ticket containing more than one zone, the zone with the higher mileage requirement will be applied.
Fees: $50 for routing or booking class change. $50 to cancel the award. You cannot change the name on the award or routing and booking class once you have started flying on an award ticket.
Round the World Star Alliance Ticket: Economy= 180,000 miles, Business= 325,000 miles, First= 480,000 miles (maximum of 10 segments and 7 stopovers)
Star Alliance Sweet Spots:
- Stay Within a Region- “North Asia” includes South Korea, Japan, and a lot of small islands that are very expensive to fly to, which can provide with great value in business class for only 55,000 points roundtrip. Other good deals would be travel within Europe, Southwest Pacific (Australia, New Zealand, and other islands), and South America.
EVA Round-Trip Award Chart
One-way tickets are 50% of the number of points of a round-trip.
Star Alliance Partners Award Ticket
EVA actually has their entire Star Alliance award chart in a word document that you can download. If they want their points program to be taken more seriously, they should at least create a PDF document with better formatting and information.
|Unit:1000 miles||HONG KONG, MACAU||CHINA||NORTH ASIA||SOUTH EAST ASIA||CENTRAL,|
|SOUTH WEST |
|NORTH AMERICA||HAWAII, CENTRAL AMERICA||SOUTH AMERICA||EUROPE||MIDDLE EAST||NORTH AFRICA||CENTRAL, SOUTH AFRICA|
|HONG KONG, MACAU||Y||34||37||40||60||105||115||100||135||105||81||90.5||100|
|SOUTH EAST ASIA||Y||30||50||105||120||110||135||105||75||77.5||80|
Region Definitions for Star Alliance Award Chart
|Zones||Origin / Destination|
|HONG KONG, MACAU||HONG KONG, MACAU|
|NORTH ASIA||Guam, Japan, Micronesia, Palau, Russian Far East, South Korea, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Saipan|
|SOUTH EAST ASIA||Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam|
|CENTRAL, SOUTH ASIA||Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan|
|SOUTH WEST PACIFIC||Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, Vanuatu|
|NORTH AMERICA||Canada, USA ( excluding Hawaii)|
|HAWAII, CENTRAL AMERICA||Bermuda, Caribbean, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Hawaii, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Belize, Haiti|
|SOUTH AMERICA||Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela|
|EUROPE||Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Iceland, Turkey|
|MIDDLE EAST||Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen|
|NORTH AFRICA||Algeria, Canary Islands, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia|
|CENTRAL, SOUTH AFRICA||Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Chad|