One of the major benefits on the Platinum card is airport lounge access, which we cover extensively on our Platinum Lounge Access page. You can access the American Express Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClub when flying Delta, Escape Lounges, Airspace Lounges, and many more lounges.
Annual $200 Airline Fee Credit
You select one airline and you can get up to $200 in certain “incidental” airline fees per calendar year reimbursed. These fees include checked bags, seat selection, pet transport fees, and in-flight refreshments. In your first year, you can use two $200 credits. (e.g., you sign up in February 2019, you will get one in 2019 and one in 2020; if you want to cancel before anniversary, just use the credit before you cancel).
- Airlines: Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and United Airlines.
- Not Reimbursable: Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty-free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
- Potentially Reimbursable: Despite being not reimbursable by the terms and conditions, it has been possible in the past to get gift cards reimbursed for Southwest and Delta (American Airlines no longer works). I advise you stick to $50 gift cards at a time so that you can say that it was a checked bag fee. If you don’t want to risk it, consider selecting Frontier or Spirit as your airline. Since they have low fares and high fees, you can use your travel credit fairly easily there. (FlyerTalk threads for datapoints: Southwest, Delta, United, American, JetBlue, and Alaska.
$200 per year in free Uber rides
If you load your personal Platinum card to your Uber account and each month you will receive $15 in Uber credits and $35 in credits in December. If you do not use the monthly credit, it will expire at the end of the month.
- Exception: Business Platinum does not get Uber credit.
$100 Saks Credit
Personal (non-business) Platinum cardmembers get $50 between January and June, and an additional $50 between July and December. However, you do need to register in advance to get the credit.
Free Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check
Apply for Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check, pay using your Platinum card, and you will receive a statement credit for either $100 (Global Entry) or $85 (TSA Pre-Check).Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check are both good for five years. I prefer Global Entry because it includes both TSA Pre-Check and expedited immigration when returning the United States. However, the sign-up process is longer for Global Entry because you must make an appointment for an interview. You can give the credit to anyone, but they must use your Platinum card to pay for it. Additionally, you only get a statement credit every four years, but if you cancel and sign up for another platinum card, you will get another credit.
Other Platinum Benefits
The American Express Platinum also gets you elite status with:
- Marriott Gold
- Hilton Gold
- Avis Preferred
- Hertz 5-Star
- National Emerald Club Executive
Travel Collection Membership
This service normally costs $275 per year, but it is free with the Platinum card. The service offers discounts with certain partner airlines and special hotel benefits. Unfortunately, you have to call 1-877-485-8053 to receive price quotes and book. There is a $39 fee to book, so be sure to find the price via Google Flights beforehand to make sure you save money after factoring in the fee. (Amex Gold card members and their authorized users also have access to this perk. Platinum AUs do not have access.)
- Partner Airlines: Aerolineas Argentinas flights to Latin America; Air Europa flights to Europe; Air New Zealand flights worldwide; Avianca flights to Latin America; Cathay Pacific flights worldwide; Copa Airlines flights to Latin America; Fiji Airways flights to the South Pacific; Qantas Airways flights worldwide; Qatar Airways flights worldwide; and United flights worldwide.
- Hotel Benefits: Daily breakfast for two people; Room upgrade upon check-in (based on availability); Guaranteed 1:00 pm early check-in; Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi; and a $50 USD hotel credit
Platinum members can also book luxury hotels through the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Most of the hotels average $400+ a night since they are luxury brands such as Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, etc. However, you do get some good benefits such as early check-in, room upgrade, daily breakfast, Wi-Fi, late checkout, and an additional special amenity (usually a $100-150 credit). Additionally, several hotels offer a third night free.
International Airline Program
This program offer flight discounts on premium economy, business, and first class fares for the primary cardholder and up to seven companions. You can book by live-chatting with an Amex agent or calling 1-800-525-3355 for personal cards and 1-800-553-9497 for business cards. There is a $39 fee per ticket (waived for Centurion members), but you can usually save at least $300 via this program.
- Participating Airlines: Air China, Air France, Air New Zealand, Alitalia, Asiana, Austrian, British Airways, Brussels, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, Iberia, Japan Airlines, KLM, LATAM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar, Singapore, South African, SWISS, and Virgin Atlantic.
The concierge can help you get exclusive tickets, reservations, or help out with a lot of different tasks. Their phone number is 1-800-525-3355 or email them at Platinumrequests@concierge.americanexpress.com.
Global Dining Collection
You can get special access to reservations at some of the most exclusive restaurants in the world. Just call the concierge (info above).
In the unlikely event for a need of a medical evacuation, American Express will spend an unlimited amount for the cardholder, immediate family, and children under 23 or under 26 if enrolled full-time in school, to be sent home. Here is an example of where American Express spent $275,000 to send a plane full of doctors or nurses to rescue a Platinum cardholder who had a heart attack in Singapore.
Free towing up to 10 miles, jump starts, flat tire changes, lockout service, and delivery of fuel, up to 4 times per year.
Covers items up to $10,000 for losses within 90 days of purchase, up to $50,000/year.
Covers items up to $300 within 90 days of purchase if the store won’t take a return or charges a restocking fee, up to $1,000/year.
American Express doubles the manufacturer’s warranty up to 1 additional year. This covers up to $10,000/item and up to $50,000/year.
Hertz Extended Return
You can return your Hertz rental car four-hour late without an additional fee
Secondary Rental Car Insurance
Secondary rental car insurance only covers what your insurance does not cover. However, there are several other cards that offer primary rental car insurance, which pays before your own insurance does.
No foreign transactions
Cards with foreign transactions fees usually charge 1-2% of the purchase price when buying thing abroad, so this benefit can save you $10-30 for each international trip.
New riders get ten free passes. Cardmembers also get three free classes when you purchase a set of 20 classes and SuperSoul Status when you purchase 25 classes (normally 50 classes).