United MileagePlus offers numerous ways for members to earn miles, providing a wide array of opportunities beyond traditional flight rewards.
The program offers diverse earning possibilities, from flying with United and its partner airlines to utilizing co-branded credit cards. Additionally, members can earn miles through hotel bookings and various everyday spending activities.
This guide will show you how to earn extra United miles for your next trip.
Ways to Earn United Miles
There are many ways to earn United Airlines miles easily:
United Airlines Credit Cards
For most people, I recommend the United℠ Explorer Card or the United℠ Business Card, which each provides a lot of benefits on United for a reasonable annual fee. For more frequent travelers, the United Club℠ Infinite Card is excellent if you want United Club airport lounge access.
- For Chase I recommend either Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card, or for frequent travelers, the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
- For Bilt Rewards, I highly recommend the Bilt Mastercard® (review).
- For Marriott Bonvoy, I recommend the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card for frequent Marriott travelers, Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card if you have a business or side hustle, or the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card for people who stay at Marriott only a few times per year.
Fly on United
Members earn 5x miles per dollar spent on United or United Express, and Premier elite status members earn extra miles: Silver (7x), Gold (8x), Platinum (9x), and 1K (11x).
Fly on a Partner Airline
You can fly on a Star Alliance member airline or one of United’s other partners and earn miles based on flight distance and your purchased fare class.
- Star Alliance: Aegean, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa, Croatia, Egyptair, Ethiopian, EVA, LOT Polish, Lufthansa, SAS, Shenzhen, Singapore, South African, Swiss, TAP Air Portugal, Thai, and Turkish.
- United Airlines’ other worldwide partners include: Aer Lingus, Aeromar, Air Dolomiti, Airlink, Azul, Boutique Air, Cape Air, Discover Airlines, Edelweiss, Emirates, Eurowings, Flydubai, Hawaiian Airlines, JSX, Olympic Air, Silver Airways, Virgin Australia, and Vistara.
Avis and Budget are United’s exclusive rental car partners:
- MileagePlus general members earn 500 miles on Avis and Budget rentals.
- MileagePlus Chase cardmembers earn 750 miles on Avis and Budget rentals.
- Premier® Silver and Gold members earn 1,000 miles on Avis and Budget rentals.
- Premier Platinum and 1K® members earn 1,250 miles on Avis and Budget rentals.
Earn United miles via United’s online shopping portal to earn extra points at many major online retailers (Apple, Home Depot, Walmart, Nike, Best Buy, etc.).
Eat at Restaurants
United’s MileagePlus Dining program lets you earn miles when you join and eat at certain restaurants.
When you book your cruise through United, you can earn up to 25,000 miles per trip.
When you book a travel package via United’s portal with Priceline, you can earn about 1,000 miles per trip.
Buy Gift Cards
You can buy gift cards for most major retailers and earn United miles.
United’s Other Partners
Ways to Redeem United Miles
United Airlines is in the Star Alliance allowing you to redeem miles on airlines such as ANA, Lufthansa, SWISS, Turkish Airlines, Air Canada, Avianca, Singapore Airlines, EVA, and more. The best thing about the United MileagePlus program is that it doesn’t add fuel surcharges to award tickets, saving you hundreds of dollars when redeeming miles on airlines such as Lufthansa. Some of the best ways to redeem United Miles are:
United Airlines is in the Star Alliance allowing you to redeem miles on airlines such as ANA, Lufthansa, SWISS, Turkish Airlines, Air Canada, Avianca, Singapore Airlines, EVA, and more.
The best thing about the United MileagePlus program is that it doesn’t add fuel surcharges to award tickets, saving you hundreds of dollars when redeeming miles on airlines such as Lufthansa.
Some of the best ways to redeem United Miles are:
The United MileagePlus program offers various options for earning miles, such as flying with United or its partners or utilizing shopping and dining programs.
You can significantly boost your mile earnings using the right credit cards and taking advantage of promotional offers.