Here’s your miles, points, travel, and deals news for September 14, 2023:
Major Delta Change #1: Sky Club Acccess
As previously expected via rumors on Reddit, Delta has placed additional limits on access to the Delta Sky Club.
Beginning on February 1, 2025, there’s a limit on the number of times you can visit the Delta Sky Club every qualification year (February 1st to January 31st):
- The Platinum Card® from American Express = 6 annual visits.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express = 6 annual visits
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card = 10 annual visits (plus two annual guest passes)
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card = 10 annual visits.
Both personal and business Delta Reserve and Amex Platinum members can bypass this restriction by spending $75,000 or more on their card in a calendar year. If this requirement is met, you will receive unlimited Sky Club access for the current calendar year, the following calendar year, and for January of the following year. (Spending $75K also unlocks free guests for the Amex Centurion Lounges.)
Additionally, beginning on January 1, 2024, these two cards will no longer enjoy the ability to access the Delta Sky Club:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
Lastly, Basic Economy tickets will no longer have access to Delta Sky Clubs starting January 1, 2024. There was previously an exception for Amex cardholders.
Major Delta Change #2: Qualification of Elite Status
Delta Air Lines also unveiled a new way to earn Medallion elite status. Previously, you had to meet a combination of Medallion Qualifying Miles, Segments, and Dollars.
Now, the only thing that matters is Medallion Qualifying Dollars (“MQD”). Here’s the MQD thresholds starting January 1, 2024:
- Silver Medallion: $6,000
- Gold Medallion: $12,000
- Platinum Medallion: $18,000
- Diamond Medallion: $35,000
Luckily, you can earn MQDs in many different ways:
- Flights = 1 MQD per dollar(excluding basic economy, which earns 0 MQD)
- Vacations: 1 MQD per dollar
- Car Rentals via Delta = 1 MQD per dollar
- Hotels via Delta = 1 MQD per dollar
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card = 1 MQD per $20.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card = = 1 MQD per $20.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card = 1 MQD per $10.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card = 1 MQD per $10.
Starting February 1, 2024, existing elite members can roll over their excess MQMs into SkyMiles at a rate of 2 to 1, or you can convert the MQMs to MQDs at a rate of 20 to 1.
These changes make it much more difficult to obtain Delta’s elite status.
For example, if you were to spend $5,000 on flights each year and wanted Platinum Medallion status, you would need to spend at least $130,000 on a Delta Reserve card or $260,000 on a Delta Platinum card.
JetBlue Flyers to Lose Admirals Club Access
As somewhat expected after the courts prevented the American-JetBlue Northeast Alliance, JetBlue flyers will stop receiving Admirals Club lounge access starting on February 1, 2024.
JetBlue flyers previously got lounge access when traveling in Mint (excluding Europe) or via holding the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®.
Largest United Club Opens in Denver
United recently opened the largest United Club in Denver’s B Concourse near gate B44.
The new Club is 35,000 square feet with seating for about 600 guests across three levels. This club features a beer-tasting experience with beer flights and ten local and craft beers on tap.
Deals and Points News
- Many stores in the American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping portal have high rates today, including Athleta (10x), Urban Outfitters (10x), Dell (6x), Men’s Warehouse/Jos A. Bank (10X), Clinique (10x), Skin Store (9x), and All Saints (9x).
- SWISS is launching new two routes between Zurich (ZRH) and Toronto (YYZ) on May 10, 2024, and Zurich and Washington DC (IAD) on March 28, 2024.
- Lufthansa is launching flights between Munich (MUC) and Seattle (SEA) on May 30, 2024. (In addition to previously announced Frankfurt to Raleigh and Minneapolis flights)