Here’s your miles, points, travel, and deals news for September 12, 2023:
Newark Centurion Lounge Delayed to 2026
The American Express Centurion Lounge at Newark (EWR) Airport is expected to open in 2026 in a new three-story building near the new Terminal A, initially housing United flights.
Previously, it was rumored that the Newark Centurion lounge would open in late 2023, so this is somewhat of a disappointment.
The Newark lounge, spanning 17,000-square-feet, will be the largest among all Centurion Lounges.
The lounge is expected to offer a 1,400-square-foot indoor terrace with views of the airport, Port of Newark, New York and Newark harbors, and the Manhattan skyline.
Inside, amenities include eateries, a piano lounge, a jazz-themed bar, a cocktail lounge, shower suites, kids room, premium restrooms, and areas for work and relaxation.
Deals and Points News
- The Bilt Rewards card doesn’t earn points on charges via the Curve Card, which is how I used my Bilt card. I went back and checked my Bilt account and found the rewards points only posted about 25% of the time for purchases via Curve for Bilt Rewards. [HT: Frequent Miler]
- Earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage miles with an Avis or Budget rental through October 31, 2023. Rentals of 3 or 4 deals will earn 2,500 miles, and rentals of 5+ days will earn 5,000 bonus miles. For Avis, use code K817127. For Budget, use code U072437.
- Marriott is offering soft landing for elite members who don’t meet the nightly requirements. Elite members will only drop back one level in 2024. For example, if you were Titanium Elite and failed to meet the requirements this year, you will fall back one level to Platinum Elite.
- Kroger is selling 400 stores to Piggly Wiggly’s parent company to try to win antitrust approval for the Kroger-Albertson’s mega-merger, including brands QFC, Mariano’s, and Carrs. (For me, this means no more Fuel Points at my preferred grocery store Marianos.)
- JetBlue and Allegiant entered an agreement where JetBlue will divest all of Spirit’s holdings in Boston (BOS) and Newark (EWR), plus give gates and ground facilities in Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Ultimately, this will help JetBlue try to complete its planned merger with Spirit Airlines.
- Vietnam Airlines ordered 50 Boeing 737 MAX planes worth approximately $7.8 billion.