British Airways’ New Club Suite Starts Flying to NYC- British Airways’ retrofitted Boeing 777 with their new Club Suite will start flying today between London-Heathrow and New York-JFK. This aircraft will service the route through March 2020. [Video of Cabin; Video Review of New Suites]
New WOW Air Delays Launch– WOW Air’s new owner delayed their relaunch from October to December. WOW is delaying the launch due to an increase in aircraft inventory from other failed airlines that WOW would like to acquire and reconfigure. [Flight Global]
Air France Making First Class More Expensive- Air France is making their La Premiere (first class) awards more expensive by 9-15%. Air France also only allows elite members to book La Premiere, but now Flying Blue Silver elites (lowest tier) will no longer have access to La Premiere award space. [TFM]
Robinhood Relaunches Cash Account– You can now join the waitlist for Robinhood’s Cash Account that offers a current APY rate of 2.05% and includes FDIC insurance. Robinhood initially unveiled a 3% APY cash account with SIPC (stock brokerage) insurance instead of FDIC insurance, but those plans were canceled after SIPC stated that cash management accounts would not be covered by their insurance.
- Delta has a SkyMiles flash sale through October 10 for North America.
- Amazon Smart Plug (works with Alexa) for $0.99 after code SMARTPLUG99.
- The Grand Hyatt at San Francisco (SFO) Airport opened yesterday. The hotel has 351 rooms including 22 suites.
- Boeing taking $20 million stake in Virgin Galactic. Virgin Galactic says they are on track to begin flying customers into space next year. [CNBC]
- Hays Travel, a rival British travel agent, buys Thomas Cook’s 555 stores saving 2,500 jobs. [NY Times]
- Goodyear is listing their iconic blimp on Airbnb for one night stays between October 22-24 in Akron, Ohio. The blimp will stay grounded and reservations will go live on October 15. [CNN]
- Article: Readers on the Road: Solo Travel Dispatches. Interesting article on Solo Travel.
- Article: Two French Cities, Neither of Them Paris. Which One to Love? The article compares Lyon and Marseille.
Interesting video released yesterday from Wendover Productions on “Why Airlines Go Bankrupt.”