Happy Friday! So close to the weekend. There is a potential 45,000 point bonus on the new American Express Green Card, Spirit Airlines orders 100 new aircraft, and several new interesting routes were announced.
New American Express Green Card With 45,000 Point Sign Up Bonus
The American Express Green was relaunched with new benefits and a higher annual fee ($150). There is a possible bonus of 45,000 Membership Rewards plus $100 Away Luggage credit if you copy this link into an incognito browser session. It took me a few tries using different computers and browsers, so keep trying if you only see 30,000 points.
The Green card has several new benefits and perks including:
- 3x on travel including flights, hotels, transit, taxis, and ridesharing.
- 3x on restaurants Worldwide
- $100 CLEAR credit per calendar year
- $100 Lounge Buddy Credit
- 12-hour trip delay insurance (starting next year)
CLEAR normally costs $179 each year, but there are several ways to save:
- Only $50/year if you are a college student.
- Only $109/year if you have a Delta or United credit card
- Only $119/year if you have a Delta or United account, which is free to create.
The additions of 3x on travel and restaurants is a nice addition and clearly an attempt to compete with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. However, the other benefits don’t justify the $150 annual fee consider the Reserve card has a $150 annual fee after factoring in their easy to use $300 travel credit. The Reserve card has unlimited Priority Pass visits with two guests instead of $100 Loungebuddy discount. The Reserve card also has better trip delay protection and other benefits.
Overall, it’s a good deal for the 45,000 sign-up bonus, but it is not a card to keep in the long-term if you have a Sapphire Reserve card or you reguarly use CLEAR.
Spirit Airlines Orders 100 Airbus Aircraft
Spirit Airlines announced an order for 100 Airbus aircraft with an option to add another 50 more. The order consists of a mix of A319neos, A320neos, and A321neos, and will be delivered through 2027.
By the end of 2019, Spirit is expected to have 145 aircraft in their fleet, so this order will allow Spirit to continue to grow quickly in the future.
Spirit also plans to add 17-19% capacity in 2020, so we can expect several new destinations will be announced next year.
Deals, Points, and Travel News
- Air New Zealand is launching a 3x weekly flight between Newark and Auckland. The flight takes 17 hours and 40 minutes southbound and 15 hours and 40 minutes northbound. However, Air New Zealand is eliminating the London to Los Angeles flight as of October 2020.
- Norwegian Airlines is launching a 3x weekly service between Austin and Paris (CDG) using a Boeing 787-9 starting on May 6, 2020. [Airline Route]
- Newly formed Vietnamese carrier Bamboo Airways has taken delivery of its first two Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners. Bamboo Airways currently has 30 Boeing 787-9s on order.
- Boeing is reducing its 787 Dreamliner production from 14 to 12 planes per month due to a lack of new orders. Boeing currently has enough orders for production through September 2023, but issues with the engines and the trade war have slowed demand for the Dreamliner.
- Norwegian Airlines launched a joint venture with China Construction Bank Leasing Corporation regarding Norwegian’s 27 Airbus A320neos on order. China Leasing Corporation will own a 70% stake in the joint venture and will finance, own, and lease the 27 aircraft on order. Norwegian is in a tight financial situation after expanding too quickly, so this will reduce its capital expenditures dramatically. [BT]
- Alaska Airlines reported operating revenue grew by 8% to $2.4 billion and a net profit of $332 million.
- Simon Mall will be selling $1,000 gift cards with the $3.95 annual fee until the end of the year.
- IHG is offering up to 4x bonus points if you register and book by December 15, 2019, for stays through January 31, 2020. This can also be combined with the IHG Accelerate Promotion.
- Visa launched Visa Infinite Business Cards in the U.S. with travel protection, higher credit lines, accounting software integration and extended warranty. It will be interesting to see if any high-end business cards are launched. [Reddit]
- Target will be offering free shipping on all items between November 1st and December 21st. [DOC]