What a 19-Hour Nonstop Flight Can Teach Us About Jet Lag
Qantas’ Project Sunrise test flight of 19.5 hours from New York to Sydney was completed last weekend. The Wall Street Journal published an interesting video detailing the experience on-board.
There will be further test flights to New York and also London. Qantas should decide by the end of the year whether to launch the flight in 2021. I hope they decide to only offer Premium Economy and Business on the flight similar to Singapore Airlines’ flight from Newark to Singapore. 19 hours in economy would be brutal!
American Express Green Card Refresh Details
The American Express Green card is no longer accepting applications, but a Redditor posted details of the new benefits coming to the card starting this Thursday:
- 30,000 Membership Reward Plus $100 Away (luggage) credit as a sign up bonus.
- $100 credit to CLEAR
- $100 credit to Loungebuddy
- $150 annual fee
Two 25% American Express Transfer Bonuses
There are two new transfer bonuses from American Express Membership Rewards:
- Air France= 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,250 Flying Blue Miles through November 30, 2019.
- JetBlue= 1,000 Membership Rewards Points = 1,000 JetBlue Points through December 31, 2019. (Also, subject to .006 cent per point tax).
Citi Add AeroMexico as Transfer Partner
Citi Thank You Rewards added a new 1 to 1 transfer partner with AeroMexico. However, American Express offers a much better transfer ratio of 1 to 1.6 AeroMexico points.
AeroMexico is a SkyTeam partner, but their award chart is very expensive. A few examples are:
- U.S. to Europe is 220,000 points round trip in business class.
- U.S. to Southwest Asia or Australia is 404,000 points in business class.
The one interesting redemption would be their round the world award, which allows you to add up to 15 stopovers for only 352,000 points.
Deals, Points, and Travel News
- A bag exploded on the tarmac of Chicago-Midway while in the process of being loaded onto a Volaris flight to Silao (BJX). The explosion appears to be related to a lithimum battery from cell phone or laptop. [SF]
- NY Times Article: Boeing’s Crisis Grows: Tense Meetings, Falling Stock, Angry Lawmakers.
- Boeing’s earning call is tomorrow. They are expected to post losses of $5 billion this quarter and another $3.3 next quarter.
- Hertz is offering a 20% discount on award booking between 10/21 and 10/25 for travel through 1/31/20. Using this promotion, a free day would cost 600 points.
- Office Depot is running a promotion where you can save $15 instantly when you buy $300 or more in Visa Gift Cards. Offer is limited to one per person and valid between 10/20/19 and 10/26/2019. [MTM]
- A targeted offer for Hilton Resorts where you can earn an additional 5,000 bonus points per night between October 21, 2019, and January 31, 2020. Check your email to see if you were targeted. [TPG]
- Air France is adding a 5th daily flight from Paris (CDG) to New York (JFK) using a 3 class 777-200ER.
- Delta Airlines signed an agreement for two A330-900neos, which are expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2020. Currently, Delta has 35 of these planes on order and four in their fleet.
- Gulfstream unveiled their new largest private jet, the G700 with an expected range of 7,500 nautical miles. The launch customer is Qatar Airways’ charter service Qatar Executive with 10 orders. [Bloomberg]
- Spend $75 at Home Improvement Online Stores, get $10 back. This includes several stores include HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, and Wayfair.com.
- Instacart- Spent $50 or more, get $25 back up to 2 times.