Electric Vehicles are the future of transportation. Credit card companies are slowly starting to notice and have started to offer rewards to EV owners to earn extra points at charging stations.
U.S. Bank understands the future and added EV Charging as a special category for extra rewards to several of their cards.
While there are not a lot of cards that offer rewards at charging stations like gas stations, several cards earn high rewards on everyday spending, such as the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card and Citi® Double Cash Card.
1. U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
4x Points at EV Charging Stations
- Earn 50,000 Points After Spending $2,000 in Eligible Purchases in the First 120 Days
- 5X Points on Eligible Prepaid Hotels and Car Rentals Booked Directly in the Altitude Rewards Center
- 4X Points on Travel, Gas, and EV Charging Stations
- $30 Annual Streaming Credit and Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Credit
- Cell Phone Insurance
- $0 Intro Annual Fee the First Year, $95 Thereafter
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card earns 4x points on travel, at gas stations, and EV charging stations (equivalent to 4% cashback).
Plus 2x points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, dining, and streaming services.
It also offers nice perks such as no foreign transaction fees, a $30 annual streaming bonus, cell phone insurance, and a TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit.
2. U.S. Bank Altitude® Reserve Visa Infinite® Card
3x Points on Mobile Wallet Spending and Travel
- Earn 50,000 Points After Spending $4,500 in the First 90 Days
- 5X Points on Prepaid Hotels and Car Rentals Booked via the Altitude Rewards Center
- 3X Points on Travel and Mobile Wallet
- Up to $325 Annual Credits for Travel and Dining
- Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- Global Entry / TSA PreCheck Credit
- $400 Annual Fee
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Reserve Visa Infinite® Card is a premium credit card that earns 3x points per dollar on travel and mobile wallet spending (equivalent to 4.5% cash back toward travel).
The 3x points on spending via a mobile wallet is a unique benefit, which can make this card very lucrative if you frequently spend in places where you can pay using Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Google Pay, such as at Costco, the grocery stores, gas stations/EV charging stations, home improvement stores, etc.
The card also comes with nice travel protections and Priority Pass airport lounge access.
Most EV charging stations allow you to use your mobile wallet, which allows you to earn 3x points when redeemed for travel.
If you’re able to take advantage of the mobile wallet spending, the Altitude Reserve’s 3x points offer more lucrative rewards than the Altitude Connect’s 4x points because the Altitude Reserve’s points are worth 1.5 cents per point vs. 1.0 cents per point with the Altitude Connect.
3. U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard®
3% Cash Back at EV Charging Stations
- Earn $500 Cash Back After Spending $4,500 in the First 150 Days on the Account Owner’s Card
- 5% Cash Back on Prepaid Hotels and Car Rentals via the U.S. Bank Travel Rewards Center
- 3% Cash Back at Gas and EV Charging Stations, Office Supply Stores, Cell Phone Service, and Restaurants
- $100 Annual Software Credit for Recurring Subscription
- No Annual Fee
The no-annual-fee U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard® earns 3% cash back on eligible purchases at gas stations and EV charging stations, office supply stores, cell phone service providers, and restaurants.
4. Citi Custom Cash Card
5% Cash Back on Select Transit
- Earn $200 Cash Back After Spending $1,500 in the First Six Months
- 5% Cash Back on Purchases in Your Top Eligible Spend Category Each Billing Cycle up to $500 (1% after that)
- 0% Intro APR for 15 Months on Purchases and Balance Transfers ($5 or 5% fee). After that, a variable APR of 16.24% to 26.24% applies.
- No Annual Fee
The Citi Custom Cash℠ Card is a no-annual-fee card that earns 5% cash back in your top spending category each billing cycle.
Eligible 5% cash back categories include restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, home improvement stores, drug stores, select transit, select streaming, fitness clubs, and live entertainment.
Many EV Charging stations code as “Select Transit,” which could earn 5% cash back. But your experience may vary, so we rank it lower on this list.
If your favorite charging stations don’t code as “Select Transit,” the Custom Cash could be your 5% cash back restaurant or grocery store credit card.
5. Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
2x Points on All Eligible Purchases
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a premium travel rewards card that’s perfect for travelers who want outstanding travel perks like annual travel credits, worldwide airport lounge access, and travel and purchase protections.
The Venture X earns 2x miles on all purchases helping you maximize every dollar of your spending. Plus, you can earn 10x miles on hotels and rental cars, and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One.
The card has a $395 annual fee, it is completely offset by an easy-to-use $300 annual travel credit for bookings via Capital One Travel and 10,000 points (worth at least $100) each account anniversary.
Plus you get airport lounge access at Priority Pass, Capital One, and Plaza Premium Lounges, Hertz President’s Circle elite status, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, rental car insurance, trip and luggage insurance, cell phone insurance, and purchase protection.
6. Citi® Double Cash Card
2% Cash Back on All Eligible Spending
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer boasts a strong 2% rewards rate on purchases, where you get 1% back when you buy and 1% when you pay.
Plus, for a limited time, you can earn $200 cash back after spending $1,500 in purchases in the first 6 months.
This zero-annual-fee card offers a solid earning potential as long as you pay your balance on time, and it provides a simple way to rack up points with no bonus categories to track.
7. U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
2x Points at EV Charging Stations
- Earn 20,000 Points After Spending $1,000 in the First 90 Days
- 4X Points on Dining, Takeout, and Food Delivery
- 2X Points at Grocery Stores, Grocery Delivery, Streaming Services, Gas Stations, and EV Charging Stations
- $15 Annual Streaming Credit
- No Annual Fee
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card is a no-annual-fee credit card offering 4x points (equivalent to 4% cash back) on dining, including take-out and food delivery.
Plus, cardmembers also get 2x points (equivalent to 2% cash back) at grocery stores, grocery delivery, streaming services, gas stations, and EV charging stations.
8. Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
2x Points on All Eligible Purchases
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles After Spending $4,000 Within the First Three Months
- 5x Miles on Hotels and Rental Cars via Capital One
- 2x Miles Everywhere Else
- 2 Free Visits to Capital One Lounges Each Year
- Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Credit
- Hertz 5-Star Elite Status
- Rental Car Insurance and Extended Warranty
- $95 Annual Fee
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns 2 points per dollar on all of your purchases.
It also offer nice benefits such as a fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, two free lounge passes to Capital One Lounges, secondary rental car insurance, extended warranty, and no foreign transaction fees.
Plus, for a limited time, you can earn a very solid welcome bonus of 75,000 miles after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening.
9. Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
2x Points on All Eligible Purchases (up to $50,000 per year)
- Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards Points for $3,000 in Eligible Purchases in the First 3 Months
- 2 Points Per Dollar on the First $50,000 in Purchases Each Calendar Year (1x Points thereafter)
- 0.0% Intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months. After that, a variable APR of 15.49% – 23.49%.
- No Annual Fee (Rates and Fees)
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is one of my favorite cards because it has no annual fee and earns 2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 in purchases every year. After that, you will earn 1 point per dollar on all of your purchases.
The ability to earn 2x points makes the Blue Business Plus one of the best cards for everyday spending.