Electric Vehicles are the future of transportation. Credit card companies are slowly starting to notice and have started to offer rewards to EV owners to earn extra points at charging stations.
U.S. Bank understands the future and added EV Charging as a special category for extra rewards to several of their cards.
While there are not a lot of cards that offer rewards at charging stations like gas stations, several cards earn high rewards on everyday spending, such as the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card and Citi® Double Cash Card.
Best Rewards Rates for EV Charging: U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Best for Daily Business Expenses: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (review)
1. U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card
Best Rewards Rates for EV Charging
- Earn 50,000 Points After Spending $2,000 in Eligible Purchases in the First 120 Days.
- 5X Points on Eligible Prepaid Hotels and Car Rentals Booked Directly in the Altitude Rewards Center
- 4X Points on Travel, Gas, and EV Charging Stations
- $30 Annual Streaming Credit and Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Credit
- Cell Phone Insurance
- $0 Intro Annual Fee the First Year, $95 Thereafter
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Connect Visa Signature® Card earns 4x points on travel, at gas stations, and EV charging stations (equivalent to 4% cashback).
Plus 2x points at grocery stores, grocery delivery, dining, and streaming services.
It also offers nice perks such as no foreign transaction fees, a $30 annual streaming bonus, cell phone insurance, and a TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit.
2. U.S. Bank Business Triple Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®
Best for Small Businesses
- Earn $500 Cash Back After Spending $4,500 in the First 150 Days on the Account Owner’s Card
- 5% Cash Back on Prepaid Hotels and Car Rentals via the U.S. Bank Travel Rewards Center
- 3% Cash Back at Gas and EV Charging Stations, Office Supply Stores, Cell Phone Service, and Restaurants
- 1% Cash Back on All Other Purchases.
- $100 Annual Software Credit for Recurring Subscription
- No Annual Fee
The no-annual-fee U.S. Bank Triple Cash Rewards World Elite Mastercard® earns 3% cash back on eligible purchases at gas stations and EV charging stations, office supply stores, cell phone service providers, and restaurants.
3. Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Best for Travel
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (review) is a premium travel rewards card that’s perfect for travelers who want outstanding travel perks like annual travel credits, worldwide airport lounge access, and travel and purchase protections.
The Venture X earns 2x miles on all purchases helping you maximize every dollar of your spending. Plus, you can earn 10x miles on hotels and rental cars, and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One.
The card has a $395 annual fee, completely offset by a $300 annual credit for bookings through Capital One Travel, and 10,000 points (worth at least $100) for each account anniversary.
Plus, you get airport lounge access via Priority Pass, Capital One, and Plaza Premium Lounges, Hertz President’s Circle elite status, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, rental car insurance, trip and luggage insurance, cell phone insurance, and purchase protection.
4. Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
Best Budget Option
- 5x Miles on Hotels and Rental Cars via Capital One Travel
- 2x Miles Everywhere Else
- 2 Free Visits to Capital One Lounges Each Year
- Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Credit
- Hertz 5-Star Elite Status
- Rental Car Insurance and Extended Warranty
- $95 Annual Fee
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a travel rewards credit card that earns an unlimited 2 miles per dollar on all purchases and 5 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.
The card also comes with a range of travel benefits, including secondary rental car, no foreign transaction fees, and extended warranty coverage.
Plus, you also get two complimentary passes to visit Capital One lounges each year and an application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck (up to a $100 credit every four years).
5. U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card
Best for Everyday Expenses
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature® Card is a no-annual-fee credit card offering 4x points (equivalent to 4% cash back) on dining, including take-out and food delivery.
Plus, cardmembers also get 2x points (equivalent to 2% cash back) at grocery stores, grocery delivery, streaming services, gas stations, and EV charging stations.
6. The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- 2 Points Per Dollar on the First $50,000 in Purchases Each Calendar Year (1x Points thereafter)
- 0.0% Intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months. After that, reg_apr,reg_apr_type APR. APRs will not exceed 29.99%
- No Annual Fee (rates & fees)
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (review) is one of my favorite cards because it has no annual fee and earns 2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 in purchases every year. After that, you will earn 1 point on all other eligible purchases.
You can transfer Membership Rewards to 18 airlines and three hotel points programs, with several great sweet spots to travel in business class to anywhere in the world.
I put all of my everyday business spending on my Blue Business Plus because it is a quick way to rack up points for my next trip.
7. Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
- 5% Cash Back on Purchases in Your Top Eligible Spend Category Each Billing Cycle up to $500 (1% after that)
- 0% Intro APR for 15 Months on Purchases and Balance Transfers ($5 or 5% fee). After that, reg_apr,reg_apr_type.
- No Annual Fee
The Citi Custom Cash is a no-annual-fee card that earns 5% cash back in your top spending category each billing cycle.
Eligible 5% cash back categories, among several others, include:
- Gas stations.
- Grocery stores.
- Select travel.
- Home improvement stores.
- Drug stores.
- Fitness clubs.
This allows you to turn the Custom Cash into your 5% cash back card for your favorite category.
Many EV Charging stations code as “Select Transit,” which could earn 5% cash back. But your experience may vary, so we rank it lower on this list.
If your favorite charging stations don’t code as “Select Transit,” the Custom Cash could be your 5% cash back restaurant or grocery store credit card.
8. Citi® Double Cash Card
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer boasts a strong 2% rewards rate on purchases, where you get 1% back when you buy and 1% when you pay.
This zero-annual-fee card offers a solid earning potential as long as you pay your balance on time, and it provides a simple way to rack up points with no bonus categories to track.
You can also boost your rewards by also holding the Citi Premier® Card (review), which allows you to transfer points to airline and hotel programs. This combination effectively allows you to earn 2 airline miles per dollar on all spending with the Citi Double Cash.