The search for an engagement ring is one of the most exciting and memorable moments in a person’s life. This special purchase can be a significant financial investment that should not be taken lightly.
Thankfully, many credit cards are available to help ease the cost and, if used wisely, can even help to build credit or earn rewards.
While each card may offer different benefits, choosing the right credit card for your purchase can make all the difference.
To help make your decision a bit easier, this blog will cover the best credit cards for buying an engagement ring. From cash back rewards and sign-up bonuses to low-interest rates and no annual fees, we’ll cover all the top credit cards to consider when making this important purchase.
Best for Travel Rewards: Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Best for No Annual Fee: Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 Month BT Offer
Best for Purchase Protection: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
1. Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
2x Miles + Lounge Access for the Honeymoon
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is a premium travel rewards card that’s perfect for travelers who want outstanding travel perks like annual travel credits, worldwide airport lounge access, and travel and purchase protections.
The Venture X earns 2x miles on all purchases helping you maximize every dollar of your spending. Plus, you can earn 10x miles on hotels and rental cars, and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One.
The card has a $395 annual fee, it is completely offset by an easy-to-use $300 annual travel credit for bookings via Capital One Travel and 10,000 points (worth at least $100) each account anniversary.
Plus you get airport lounge access at Priority Pass, Capital One, and Plaza Premium Lounges, Hertz President’s Circle elite status, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, rental car insurance, trip and luggage insurance, cell phone insurance, and purchase protection.
2. Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
2x Miles on All Purchases
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles After Spending $4,000 Within the First Three Months
- 5x Miles on Hotels and Rental Cars via Capital One
- 2x Miles Everywhere Else
- 2 Free Visits to Capital One Lounges Each Year
- Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Credit
- Hertz 5-Star Elite Status
- Rental Car Insurance and Extended Warranty
- $95 Annual Fee
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a travel rewards credit card that earns an unlimited 2 miles per dollar on all purchases and 5 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.
The card also offers up to a $100 Global Entry TSA PreCheck credit, and two free visits each year to the Capital One Lounge.
3. Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer
No Annual Fee + 2% Cash Back
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer boasts a strong 2% rewards rate on purchases, where you get 1% back when you buy and 1% when you pay.
This zero-annual-fee card offers a solid earning potential as long as you pay your balance on time, and it provides a simple way to rack up points with no bonus categories to track.
You can also boost your rewards by also holding the Citi Premier® Card (review), which allows you to transfer points to airline and hotel programs. This combination effectively allows you to earn 2 airline miles per dollar on all spending with the Citi Double Cash.
4. Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Best for Purchase Protection
- Earn 60,000 Ultimate Rewards Points for Spending $4,000 in the First 3 Months
- $300 Annual Travel Credit
- 10x Points on Hotels and Rental Cars and 5x Points on Flights Booked Through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3x Points on Dining, Takeout, & Eligible Food Delivery
- 50% More Redemption Value
- Priority Pass Airport Lounge Access
- Trip Delay and Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Primary Rental Car Insurance
- $550 Annual Fee
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is a great option for travelers who want premium perks such as airport lounge access and top-tier travel protections.
The Sapphire Reserve has a $550 annual fee, but you receive an annual easy-to use $300 travel credit and access to 1,300 Priority Pass airport lounges.
Plus, great benefits such as trip delay insurance, primary rental car insurance, trip cancellation insurance, lost luggage reimbursement, purchase and return protection, extended warranty, and no foreign transaction fees.
Cardmembers also earn extra points with 5x points on flights and 10x points on hotels and car rentals through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x points on travel, dining, and food delivery purchases, and 1x points everywhere else.
You can also cash out points at a 50% bonus (1.5 cents per point) when redeeming points towards travel or transfer the points to Chase’s airline and hotel partners.
5. The Platinum Card® from American Express
Best for Welcome Bonus
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a great premium travel rewards card for travelers who want airport lounge access, including Centurion Lounges, Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta), Escape Lounges, Priority Pass lounges.
The American Express Platinum has a $695 annual fee, but you receive many annual statement credits when you enroll your card to offset the fee, including:
- $200 Airline Fee Credit (after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®)
- $200 Hotel Credit (on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay)
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit (up to $20 each month: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times)
- $200 Uber Cash Credit ($15 per month with $35 in December when you add your Platinum Card to Uber or UberEats account)
- $155 Walmart+ Credit (covers the cost of a $12.95 monthly membership)
- CLEAR Credit (up to $189 towards an annual Clear membership for expedited airport security)
You also earn 5x Membership Rewards points when booking flights directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 in purchases per calendar year) and 5x Membership Rewards points when booking prepaid hotels with American Express Travel.
On top of that, you automatically earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite and Hilton Honors Gold statuses, which offer points bonuses, room upgrades, late check-out, and other premier benefits.
6.Chase Freedom Unlimited®
1.5x Points on Engagement Rings
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® is a good no-annual fee credit card option that offers 5% cash back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% cash back at restaurants, takeout, eligible delivery services, and on drugstore purchases. Plus it offers 1.5% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
The Freedom Unlimited also offers nice benefits such as purchase protection, extended warranty, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, and secondary rental car insurance.
7. World of Hyatt Credit Card
Free Hotel Night for Honeymoon
- Earn Up to 60,000 Points: 30,000 Points for Spending $3,000 in First 3 Months + Up to 30K Points with 2x Bonus Points per $1 in the First 6 Months on Up to $15,000 Spent
- 4X Points at all Hyatt Hotels
- 2X Points on Dining, with Airlines, Local Transit, & Gyms
- One Free Night Each Year (Category 1-4) + Extra Free Night After Spending $15,000 Per Calendar Year
- Automatic Discoverist Status
- $95 Annual Fee
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is one of the better hotel credit cards that offers 4x points at Hyatt hotels and 2x points in several categories, including at restaurants, airline tickets purchased directly with airlines, local transit, commuting, and fitness clubs.
Plus, you get a free hotel night at a Category 1-4 Hyatt Hotel to offset the $95 annual fee, and you can earn an additional night when you spend $15,000 in a calendar year.