If you live in one of American Airline’s hub cities or just loves to fly on American, you might want to consider getting an American Airlines co-branded credit card.
Whether you’re a road warrior, an occasional traveler, or a business owner, American’s co-branded cards offer a plethora of benefits for all types of travelers. You’ll get benefits like lounge access, companion tickets, bonus miles, in-flight discounts, and many more.
In this article, we’ll discuss the best American Airlines credit cards to help you decide which one to get.
Best for Premium Benefits: Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard®
Best No-annual-fee Card: Citi AAdvantage MileUp
Best for Earning a Quick Welcome Bonus: Barclays American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red
1. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard®
Best for Premium Benefits + Admirals Club Access
- Earn 50,000 AAdvantage Miles After Spending $5,000 in the First 3 Months
- Admirals Club Lounge Membership for Cardholders and Up to 10 Authorized Users with Two Guests
- Free Checked Bag (for you and 8 travel companions)
- Priority Boarding and Priority Check-In
- Global Entry / TSA Pre-Check Credit
- $450 Annual Fee
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite MasterCard® is a great choice if you’re a frequent American Airlines flyer who wants airport lounge access.
This card features an Admirals Club membership (worth $650) that allows the primary cardholder and up to two guests with a same-day boarding pass to enter American Airlines Admirals Club lounges when flying American Airlines, a OneWorld airline (including Alaska Airlines), or JetBlue (excluding flights to Europe).
Plus, the primary cardholder enjoys access to over 50 partner lounges worldwide.
The annual fee is $450, but you can add up to 10 authorized users for free, who also enjoy Admirals Club lounge access with two guests.
If you maximize this benefit, you effectively pay only $41 per person for a yearly Admirals Club membership ($450 divided by 11 people).
2. Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
Best for Travel & Everyday Spending
- Earn 50,000 AAdvantage Miles for $2,500 in Purchases in the First 3 Months
- 2x Miles on American, Gas Stations, and Restaurants
- Free Checked Bag and Preferred Boarding
- 25% In-Flight Savings on Food and Drinks
- $99 Annual Fee, Waived for First 12 Months
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® is a good option for American Airlines flyers because it offers a free first checked bag on domestic flights for you and up to 4 travel companions on the same reservation, plus preferred boarding on American Airlines flights.
Plus, you earn 2 AAdvantage miles per dollar at restaurants, gas stations, and on American Airlines.
The AAdvantage Platinum card can also help you earn AAdvantage elite status because every dollar spent on the card equals one Loyalty Point.
3. American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp®
No Annual Fee Card
- Earn 10,000 Miles + $50 Statement Credit After $500 in Purchases Within the First 3 Months
- 2x Miles on American Airlines and at Grocery Stores
- Earns Loyalty Points Towards Elite Status
- 25% In-Flight Savings on Food and Drinks
- No Annual Fee
The American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp® is great for people who want to earn American Airlines miles without an annual fee.
The MileUp card doesn’t offer a big welcome mileage bonus, free checked bags, or priority boarding like other American Airlines credit cards.
But MileUp cardmembers earn 2x miles on American Airlines and at grocery stores, and receive a 25% in-flight savings on food and drinks.
4. CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
Best for Small Businesses
- Earn 65,000 AAdvantage Miles After Spending $4,000 in the First 4 Months
- Free Checked Bags for You and 4 Companions
- 2X Miles on American Flights, Cable, Satellite, Gas, Telecommunications, and Car Rentals
- Preferred Boarding (Group 5)
- 25% Discount on American In-Flight Purchases of Wi-Fi, Food, and Beverages When Using the Card.
- $99 Annual Fee, Waived the First Year
The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® is good for business owners that want perks on American Airlines.
The card offers benefits such as a free checked bag on domestic flights for up to four travel companions on the same reservation, preferred boarding in Group 5, and a 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi, food, and beverage purchases when you use your card.
5. Barclays American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red
Best for Earning a Quick Welcome Bonus
The Barclays American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red earns 2x AAdvantage miles on American Airlines purchases.
This card has a $99 annual fee, which can be offset by the free checked bag perk for you and four companions for more than $100 savings on a one-way trip plus preferred boarding, a $25 credit on in-flight Wi-Fi expenses, and 25% in-flight savings on food and beverages.
The Aviator Red gives you a companion certificate for one guest every anniversary year for $99 with taxes and fees when you spend $20,000 and comes with a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months.
6. Barclays AAdvantage Aviator World Elite Business Mastercard
Best for Earning a Companion Certificate
The Barclays AAdvantage Aviator World Elite Business Mastercard earns 2x miles on American Airlines, office supply, telecom, and car rental purchases.
For $95 per year, the Aviator Business Mastercard gets you free checked bags on domestic American Airlines flights and preferred boarding on all American Airlines flights for you and four companions on the same reservation for up to $240 savings on bag fees on a round-trip and early boarding privilege.
This business card also provides 25% in-flight discounts on food and beverages, and a 5% AAdvantage mileage bonus earned every account anniversary.
Lastly, you can potentially earn 1 companion certificate (at $99) for 1 guest if you can spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases.