The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is a great no annual fee option that earns 2x Membership Rewards points on all of your spending up to $50,000 each year.
It is an ideal card to put all of your non-multiplier spending on to accrue valuable Membership Rewards points for your next business class flight.
The Blue Business Plus Amex earns 2 Amex points per dollar on the first $50,000 spent on the card annually (then 1 point per dollar).
This a great card for everyday spending because there are no bonus categories to keep track of.
No Annual Fee
The Blue Business Plus has no annual fee (rates & fees), so this is a great card to hold onto for the long term to maximize your rewards. Plus, you can also add up to 99 authorized users to your account at no extra cost.
Benefits and Perks
0% Intro APR for 12 Months
The Blue Business Plus charges no interest on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening. After that, you’ll pay reg_apr,reg_apr_type, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening. APRs will not exceed 29.99%.
Expanded Buying Power
This card offers expanded buying power allowing you to spend beyond your credit limit to help pay for larger purchases.
You must pay your monthly minimum due each month, including any amount over your credit limit. The amount under your credit limit can be carried over month to month, but it’s always best to pay in full to avoid fees and interest.
Your Expanded Buying Power amount adjusts based on a variety of factors, including your use of the card, payment history, and credit history.
Credit card extended warranty protection adds up to an additional year of coverage for eligible purchases on manufacturer’s warranties up to 5 years.
For example, if you bought a TV with a manufacturer’s warranty of three years, this card would extend the warranty for free to the fourth year.
Purchase protection could save you a lot of money if you bought an eligible item that is damaged or stolen within 90-days.
For example, if you accidentally dropped your new phone or laptop and broke the screen, you could file a claim to get it replaced if the item was purchased within the last 90 days.
Access to Amex Offers
This card has access to Amex Offers, which are deals that are linked to your card, allowing you to save money or earn extra points on shopping, dining, and travel.
For example, there could be an offer such as spending $200+ at Marriott Hotels and Resorts and receiving $50 cash back as a statement credit.
You can find all of your Amex Offers by signing into your American Express account. You will need to “Add to Card” each offer to be eligible for the special offer.
Redeem Membership Rewards
American Express Membership Rewards is a popular rewards program that offers a variety of redemption options, including travel, merchandise, gift cards, and more.
However, to get the most value out of your rewards, it’s important to use them strategically.
One of the best ways to use Amex Membership Rewards is through transfer partners.
By transferring your points to these partners, you can often get more value per point and enjoy a wider range of redemption options.
|Membership Rewards Transfer Partners [1 to 1]|
|Aer Lingus Avios||AeroMexico [1 to 1.6]|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||Air France/KLM Flying Blue|
|British Airways Avios||Cathay Pacific Asia Miles|
|Delta SkyMiles||El Al [1,000 to 20]|
|Hawaiian Airlines||Iberia Avios|
|JetBlue [250 to 200]||Qantas|
|Qatar Airways||Singapore KrisFlyer|
|Marriott Bonvoy||Hilton Honors [1 to 2]|
Pros and Cons
Here’s a quick overview of this card’s advantages and disadvantages:
- 2x points (up to $50k in yearly spending) makes this a great everyday card.
- No annual fee.
- 0% Intro APR offer (as stated above).
Alternatives to the Blue Business Plus
Now that you know about the pros and cons of this card and its benefits, it’s time to review the alternatives.
Or, if you are like me, who loves to maximize my rewards, here are other cards you should add to your wallet in addition to this card:
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
This zero-annual-fee card earns a flat 2% cashback rate on all qualifying purchases up to $50,000 each year (1% thereafter).
The Blue Business Cash also offers expanded buying power, giving your business the flexibility to spend above your credit limit for your business expenses.
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
- Unlimited 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
- 2x Miles On Every Purchase
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck Credit
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the First Year, $95 Thereafter
- Free employee cards which also earn unlimited 2X miles from their purchases
The Capital One Spark Miles for Business is one of the top travel rewards credit cards for small business owners.
The card earns unlimited 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. It also earns unlimited 2 miles per dollar on all purchases, which can be transferred to Capital One’s airline and hotel partners.
The Spark Miles also offers a statement credit for your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application (up to $100) and no foreign transaction fees.
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
- 3X Points on Travel, Shipping, Advertising (Social Media and Search Engines), Internet, Cable, and Phone on the First $150,000 Each Account Year
- 25% Additional Points Value in Travel Redemption
- Primary Rental Car Insurance
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Cell Phone Protection
- Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $95 Annual Fee
With this card, you’ll earn:
- 3 points per $1 spent on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable, phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines (up to $150,000 in combined purchases per account anniversary year).
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases, with no limit on the number of points you can earn.
Beyond the rewards, the Ink Business Preferred provides valuable benefits, including:
- Primary rental car insurance (when renting for business purposes).
- Cell phone protection (up to $600 per claim against theft or damage, with a maximum of three claims per year and a $100 deductible per claim).
- Purchase and extended warranty protection.
Is the Blue Business Plus Worth It?
The Blue Business Plus Amex is worth it if you spend under $50,000 per year on your business card.