If you were not automatically approved by American Express, you still have options to check the status of your credit card application and seek reconsideration.
In this post, we will cover how to check your application status online, by phone, and try to get that denial turned into a approval.
How to Check Your Amex Application Status Online
You can check your American Express credit card application status easily online by:
- Visiting the American Express application status check website.
- Entering your full Social Security number (SSN).
- Entering your home zip code.
- Clicking the “Check Application” button.
You should then see a history of every American Express card you applied for in last the 12 months.
There are four options for application status:
- In Progress
Application Status Denied
If your application was denied, you could possibly try to call American Express’s reconsideration line (below) to see why you were denied and possibly talk with American Express to get your application approved.
Application Status In Progress
If your application status says “In Progress,” it means that American Express needs some time to consider your credit card application.
Wait 24 hours and check it again. If it is still “In Progress” after that, you may want to consider calling reconsideration (below).
Application Status Cancelled
You may receive a “Cancelled” application status you may want to call American Express to inquire about your application status within 30 days.
Sometimes American Express needs to verify your identity, address, or income.
It could also mean that you started an application and failed to finish the entire application.
In my situation above, I receive American Express’s infamous “pop-up,” which indicates that you are ineligible for that card’s sign-up bonus.
Checking Your Amex Application Status by Phone
You can also check your American Express application status by phone:
Here’s how to check your American Express credit card application status by phone:
- Calling American Express at 1-800-567-1083.
- When prompted say “application status” or press 1.
- Say or type the last 4 digits of your SSN when asked.
- Say or type your billing zip code when asked.
American Express Reconsideration Line
If your American Express denied your application or your application is currently pending, you may want to call the American Express reconsideration line.
It is possible to appeal that decision, but don’t be offended when American Express sticks to their original decision.
If you are new to American Express, the reconsideration phone line is 877-399-3083.
If you are an existing customer, the reconsideration phone line is 866-314-0237.
The reconsideration line is open from:
- Monday to Friday: 8 AM to Midnight.
- Saturday: 10 AM to 6:30 p.m.
- Sundays: Closed.
American Express Reconsideration Tips
When you call the reconsideration line, you want to show that you are not a credit risk and you are not an unprofitable customer.
American Express wants to see that:
- You spend money on your other American Express credit cards.
- You have a good relationship with American Express from previous cards.
- You pay off your credit card balances each month.
- Too low of a credit score or errors on credit report.
- Errors in application (e.g. incorrect address, mis-spelled name, etc.).
- You recently moved to a new address that is not associated with your credit profile.
- You already have too much credit with American Express.
- Too many cards in the past year.
- Too many hard credit inquiries.
- Bad history with American Express.
- Not waiting 30 days after a denial for a card.
When you call, American Express may ask you to verify your identity and other information on your application including address, income, or assets.
Always be nice, it can go a long way.
If you are still denied, you could hang up and call again (HUCA). We advise waiting at least a day in between calls to avoid American Express thinking you are trying to game the system.